05 sti drivetrain / Engine issues ?

This is a discussion on 05 sti drivetrain / Engine issues ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2005 sti with Turbo back Espilir 3" exhaust , K&N Typhoon intake , Larger top mount intercooler ...

Exclamation 05 sti drivetrain / Engine issues ?

I have a 2005 sti with Turbo back Espilir 3" exhaust , K&N Typhoon intake , Larger top mount intercooler , and Cobb Accesport. the car is set up as stage 2. I have had the car for a year now and have been chasing this issue down ever since. i have had the car to three different dealers an none of them can help. I have no cels on dash and the accesport verifies no bad codes on the car. The car runs pretty much perfect when driven for the first time that day. I can let the engine warm to running temp and leave my house and about 15 min into my drive i'll start to get pulsing at a constant speed whith small flutter in rpm. I get grabbing and hitting in my drivetrain along with it. In town i can free roll in neautral and hear and feel grabbing in the rear half of the car. At this point ive checked plugs ect. and the shops have said nothing is wrong with my drivetrain. I dont know if its motor or drivetrain at this point. I even had a few occasions where backing out of somewhere the car jumps from manual DCCD to lock and feels like im dragging my rear wheels. Any ideas? Please help if you can i love my car but to my wit's end. You only feel as good as your car runs right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like an issue with the rear diff. Have you changed the fluid recently? If so, what did it lool like? Might want to do a quick fluid change, its not even a quart of fluid and it will at least give you peace of mind about that part.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by 05subbysti View Post
    I have a 2005 sti with Turbo back Espilir 3" exhaust , K&N Typhoon intake , Larger top mount intercooler , and Cobb Accesport. the car is set up as stage 2. I have had the car for a year now and have been chasing this issue down ever since. i have had the car to three different dealers an none of them can help. I have no cels on dash and the accesport verifies no bad codes on the car. The car runs pretty much perfect when driven for the first time that day. I can let the engine warm to running temp and leave my house and about 15 min into my drive i'll start to get pulsing at a constant speed whith small flutter in rpm. I get grabbing and hitting in my drivetrain along with it. In town i can free roll in neautral and hear and feel grabbing in the rear half of the car. At this point ive checked plugs ect. and the shops have said nothing is wrong with my drivetrain. I dont know if its motor or drivetrain at this point. I even had a few occasions where backing out of somewhere the car jumps from manual DCCD to lock and feels like im dragging my rear wheels. Any ideas? Please help if you can i love my car but to my wit's end. You only feel as good as your car runs right?

This kind of also sounds like an issue with the Electronic Viscous Coupler (center diff)... Especially since you mentioned "the car jumps from manual DCCD to lock and feels like im dragging my rear wheels"...If I where you I would get the car up to operating temperature and go to a wide open parking lot and do a series of figure eights and see if you feel the "binding" than.... Also check your trans gear oil level...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    This kind of also sounds like an issue with the Electronic Viscous Coupler (center diff)... Especially since you mentioned "the car jumps from manual DCCD to lock and feels like im dragging my rear wheels"...If I where you I would get the car up to operating temperature and go to a wide open parking lot and do a series of figure eights and see if you feel the "binding" than.... Also check your trans gear oil level...
    Thanks for the info. The shops thought it was engine management. Thats why i bought the accesport. I know my car and was certain and still am that it's drivetrain issues. The few times the car jump into locked mode on the dccd i was making slow tight turns, and when it did it and i switched back into manual you could hear and feel a strong hit when it changed. Lot's of popping and grabbing noises while driving normal around town. taking the car back in this upcoming week and just wanted more info from some other subbby guys. Let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Sounds like an issue with the rear diff. Have you changed the fluid recently? If so, what did it lool like? Might want to do a quick fluid change, its not even a quart of fluid and it will at least give you peace of mind about that part.
    The fluids were changed about 3 months ago and will look into this again going further here. It's drivetrain problems i'm certain. Taking it in again to have them look it over another time now that i have enough engine management data logging to convince me and the shop its something different. Thanks for the info and will let ya know how it goes.