Help diagnose: Inner CV damage? (pics included
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help diagnose: Inner CV damage? (pics included within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I have a 2003 WRX that is stock. I noticed a large amount of dark green grease on ...

Help diagnose: Inner CV damage? (pics included

Hey all, I have a 2003 WRX that is stock. I noticed a large amount of dark green grease on my passenger side axle. After spending a bit of time searching through posts, I decided to just take picture and was wondering if someone could confirm what the problem is and maybe offer me some solutions. I didn't see any actual tears on the boot, and there was no unusual sounds coming from my car... like I said, I just happened to see the grease while the hood was up.

Here is an image from above, front of the car is to the right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2065_small.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	88115

And here is a view from under the passenger tire:

Name:	IMG_2061_rotated_small.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	88116

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Clean up that wayward grease so you can get a better look at the boot. Looks like it's leaking past the clamp.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by Arsk View Post
    Hey all, I have a 2003 WRX that is stock. I noticed a large amount of dark green grease on my passenger side axle. After spending a bit of time searching through posts, I decided to just take picture and was wondering if someone could confirm what the problem is and maybe offer me some solutions. I didn't see any actual tears on the boot, and there was no unusual sounds coming from my car... like I said, I just happened to see the grease while the hood was up.

Here is an image from above, front of the car is to the right:

Name:	IMG_2065_small.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	88115

And here is a view from under the passenger tire:

Name:	IMG_2061_rotated_small.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	88116
    The inner DOJ boots do leak grease around the outer (smaller) clamp area, Somewhat common occurance on Subarus in general..Chances are you wont be able to tighten the clamp, from the pics it doesn't look like most or all of the grease was lost so personally (as long as you don't hear any noises from the joint itself) I would pop the clamp off and just wrap a new on...and clean everything off obviously...

Thanks for the replies. I wiped it down and took more pics.

Name:	IMG_2082_cropped.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	88145

Although I didn't jack up the car to get in real close, I couldn't see anything that would indicate what's wrong. The pictures look better than looking at it in real life. The idea that it is a just a plain old leak makes sense to me. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsk View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I wiped it down and took more pics.

Name:	IMG_2082_cropped.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	88145

Although I didn't jack up the car to get in real close, I couldn't see anything that would indicate what's wrong. The pictures look better than looking at it in real life. The idea that it is a just a plain old leak makes sense to me. Ideas?
    replace the clamp, clean everything off and see what happens 20 min job..not even......this is what I would do, otherwise your stuck pulling out the axle to either replace it or disassemble it further to replace the inner DOJ boot...

similar issue with my '05 92x

I've noticed an almost burning smell recently and took a look under the car. I found the same dark green grease all over the passenger side axel and down the exhaust. My passenger side boot is torn though.. sorry for the poor photos, it was dark out and I only had my phone around.

Anyone find link(s) on fixing the problem?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.jpg   photo2.jpg  
    Last edited by kevin92x; 04-22-2010 at 08:39 PM.

I've been reading a bit about torn boots, and let me be the first to say that I have very limited hands-on experience with cars... but you probably want to take care of that problem as soon as possible. If you know your boot is torn, you need to get it fixed, probably by replacing the whole axle.

If you would like something to click on, try this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ot-108975.html

a good read, although in most circumstances replacing just the boot is not the best way to approach things. Search around, there's lots of info if you just want to get a general idea of what you're in for.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin92x View Post
    I've noticed an almost burning smell recently and took a look under the car. I found the same dark green grease all over the passenger side axel and down the exhaust. My passenger side boot is torn though.. sorry for the poor photos, it was dark out and I only had my phone around.

Anyone find link(s) on fixing the problem?

Replace the boot before the DOJ actually starts making noise. Than you have to replace the entire axle. I have said it before and I will say it again Subarus are extremely touchy with certain aftermarket components ( thermostats, ignition components and axles just to name a few ). A Subaru OEM reman. axle wont be cheap, If you can do the job yourself and just replace the boot your looking at about $50 in parts, however if you need an axle it will be a few hundred...

How do I secure the clamp?

Thanks for all the info so far, but I'm going to need a little more hand holding. I read a post from EvoEatr explaining how to pop off the small clamp of the DOJ boot, but from that description, the clamp I ordered, which should have been the OEM part, doesn't quite look to be the same as the original clamp.

Name:	IMG_2095_cropped.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	88330

I've never used a clamp like this. My best guess (with help from the auto parts store person), is to wrap it around the boot twice (passing it through the tab twice), pull it tight with one pair of pliers use a another set of pliers to somehow pinch it shut. Then cut off the excess if there is any. Or maybe bend it back the opposite way.

However, this doesn't seem intuitive, and I also don't know what I am going to use for leverage to pinch the tab shut since one side of it should be flush against the boot, and if that will actually be tight enough to stop the leaking anyway.

I'll be happy to answer any questions to make my problem clearer, or post more pictures.

Special tool needed?

The service manual says to use a tool (part #925091000) to tighten this clamp, but it costs $75. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to apply this band with just a couple sets of pliers? How do you guys do it when replacing the boot? Should I just buy a generic boot band instead?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.