Help! Oil pan thread gone!

This is a discussion on Help! Oil pan thread gone! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, So I was picking up milk today at the super market and I also needed an oil change... doh. ...

Unhappy Help! Oil pan thread gone!

Hey,
    So I was picking up milk today at the super market and I also needed an oil change... doh. There was a quick lube place beside it.
    Long story short:
    1. Bolt came out with the taking the threads of the pan with it.
    2. Shop doesn't have a tool big enough to re-thread the pan. (guy also advise that's not a permanent solution)
    3. Universal plug: they had one but when they put it on and started up it leaked like crazy.

SO 3 things:
    1. I want to get my car out of there. Does any one know of temporary plug, universal plug that fits good?
    2. Anyone know of an online place to get a cheap (used or new) oil pan?

I have on 04 WRX.

I plan to look/call around to some local junk yards or part pickers tomorrow to see what I can find.

3. Does anyone know what year(s) other then 04 oil pans that I could use? I think it's 02 - 05 but any help is cool.

thanks for any help or suggestions.

FYI: they gave me a loaner mini van from the shop.... I want to kill my self right now....
    Last edited by DorBink; 04-12-2010 at 07:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found this link: Oil Pan - Auto Parts Warehouse

has anyone ever order from here before? $57 + $3 ring seems like a good price. I would expect from the dealer would be over a $100....

I Support ClubWRX
    3 dollar ring???

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Subaru Parts Warehouse

In the above link the oil pan you require is the first one listed. Also, I HIGHLY recommend you replace the oil pickup (since they tend to fail sometimes when they get up in mileage). Link to the oil pickup (1st one listed is the one you need):

Subaru Parts Warehouse

You should probably replace the baffle as well. Its not a must, but since it is cheap you might as well. Link to the baffle (again you need the 1st one listed):

Subaru Parts Warehouse

Lastly, you could even upgrade to the 2.5L/STi oil pan. The prices are about the same, but you would also need the dipstick and dipstick tube to get the correct readings. The advantages are more header options, better baffling, and a better design. Read this thread to learn more (particularly post #36, but the entire thread is an EXCELLENT read and all the necessary part numbers are on the last page or 2 of the thread):

WRX oil pan vs STi oil pan - NASIOC
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 04-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.

is the lube shop picking up the tab for the oil pan? they should if they screwed it up. like you said they do have universal plugs that re-thread the existing hole in the pan and have a smaller screw in the center. they work good, I worked at jiffy lube and there was this kid that brought in his camaro in to have his oil change done and it was leaking pretty bad and the drain plug was stripped. so i die grinded some new edges on it and got it off then put a universal plug on it and worked out good...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by DorBink View Post
    I found this link: Oil Pan - Auto Parts Warehouse

has anyone ever order from here before? $57 + $3 ring seems like a good price. I would expect from the dealer would be over a $100....

I have ordered pars from here before for my Legacy, I can say #1 with my experience they have wonderful customer service... and yes their prices are pretty decent...

just had a thought about replacing the pan. I dove into the manual and it describes lifting the engine up and then lifting the car and engine simultaneous. Can anyone advise if that is required? Or is it possible to squeeze it out with out the lift. (kinda of a dumb question, but the manuals are usually the best or recommended way.)

thoughts?