Odd BOV type sound from under car?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Odd BOV type sound from under car? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For nearly a week now I have been getting this very odd "whhhhooooch!" sound from under my car.... seems like ...

Odd BOV type sound from under car?

For nearly a week now I have been getting this very odd "whhhhooooch!" sound from under my car.... seems like it's from under the drivers seat/front driver's side of motor.

I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing it. I have the OEM BOV on and it looks in good shape, so I don't think it's that.
    Plus the sound is coming from under the car/front end.

Nothing in specific causes it, which is quite strange. It's pretty random. It happen once in a while while the car is idling, but it's rather quiet. It can happen upon acceleration, deceleration, when just cruising, etc... It tend to be the loudest when I am just cruising. Sometimes a really loud one will cause the car to EVER SO SLIGHTLY jerks. Enough that I can feel it, but not terribly noticeable. I was thinking a boost leak, or leak in the vacuum hose, but it does not occur under boost regularly.

My buddy who heard the sound while the car was idling says he thinks it's the AC compressor or a bad pulley

I changed the AC compressor belt recently though and the pulley seemed fine. Drive belt is still stock though.

2002 WRX w/ 97k miles, stage 4.

(this all started occurring about a week after getting a new suspension put in, but I can't imagine that strange sound would come from the strut or anything). Probably a coincidence.

Thanks
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you looked carefully under the car with it safely parked? Are the shafts OK? Any leaks? I can't imagine what this would be.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Have you looked carefully under the car with it safely parked? Are the shafts OK? Any leaks? I can't imagine what this would be.
    No, my car is too low to get under it now. I'll have to get it on ramps or jacks to inspect underneath.

I hoping this was a common problem that some of you might be able to diagnose, lol.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Does it make the noise when the AC is off?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe on of the fans has a bearing going. Park the car and force the AC and fans to come on. If no sound then its time to look else where. Could even be a preturbo exhaust leak or maybe a boost leak.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    when you hear the noise is the AC on? I kind of doubt this since in your area its still winter..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    when you hear the noise is the AC on? I kind of doubt this since in your area its still winter..
    The defroster automatically turns on the A/C. It uses the system to remove humidity from the air. I disabled mine.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

It's been in the 60's mostly, so I have not used the A/C.

However, I usually have the heat on low and I use the setting that uses the front windshield defroster and the floor heat simultaneously... which I believe would utilize the A/C compressor/pulley.

I'm pretty sure I've heard it with the heating system off. I'll go ahead and test this tomorrow to make 100% sure.

I'll report back tomorrow and see if it still makes the noise.
    Just call me Clark Kent

The sound almost certainly sounds like pressurized air escaping (similar to a BOV). Seems to come from under the car... I can hear it really well from my driver's seat while cruising with the windows down... and it happens completely randomly.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The defroster automatically turns on the A/C. It uses the system to remove humidity from the air. I disabled mine.
    I was gettin there...

I Support ClubWRX
    its your a/c compressor. It isnt bad.. Yet however it will be, it is the clutch slipping. Makes a very weird BOV type noise. My 95 civic used to do it til the thing finally grenaded. You can try and see if your system needs recharged but thatll probably just make it worse.

I Support ClubWRX
    its your a/c compressor. It isnt bad.. Yet however it will be, it is the clutch slipping. Makes a very weird BOV type noise. My 95 civic used to do it til the thing finally grenaded. You can try and see if your system needs recharged but thatll probably just make it worse.
    +1 I would test the system for leaks and proper oil/pressure.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Very simple. Unplug the clutch on the compressor and see if the sound is gone.

Ok, it looks like it's the A/C compressor.

Like I said, I almost always have my vent setting to the one that is both the front defroster and the floor. I turned the system off completely and no noise.

Then I turned the system to front dash vent and floor vent and no noise.

Then I clicked it back to the defroster and the noise started instantly.

So now that I know what it is (A/C compressor) what does this mean? Do I need a new compressor? A recharge?

Not really familiar with the mechanics of an A/C compressor. My heat/air conditioning still works fine. The only thing that worries me is that sometimes the car will very slightly jerk when the noise comes during acceleration.

Thanks for your help everyone!
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    I would avoid using it at all costs see if you can save it. I would get in contact with an ac repair shop and have them test/charge the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast