Engine knock
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine knock within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a 2002 wrx with 89000 miles on her. My question is when I start it up in ...

Engine knock

I just bought a 2002 wrx with 89000 miles on her. My question is when I start it up in the morning I get a slight knock At idle for about 45 seconds and then it goes away. I had a Toyota once that had the wrong oil filter on it and in the morning it knocked. I installed the factory oil filter and the knock was gone. Will help? Any advice would be great.
    Last edited by WRXauto; 04-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like piston slap. Mine does it too. Very common. If so, it's not something I worry about.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Similiar problem.

I have a similar problem with my 02. It has a knock at start up that lasts until the engine comes up to temp. I notice that when it is colder outside that I also get a low oil pressure light. From experiences on other cars and what I have heard about problems like this on other WRX's, I know that I have a mess on my hands. I have heard everything from an engine rebuild all the way to an engine replacement. Can anyone give me a reasonable answer as to what I am dealing with here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Piston slap is fine.

A low oil pressure light is not. If the light does not go off a few moments after startup, take the car to a mechanic. Have them check the sender and if that's OK, have them find out why you have low oil pressure.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

similar problem

Im a little confused by the piston slap thing. I have had the car since it was new, it has 127,000 mi. on it now and the knock is a recent development. It started shortly after having the timeing belt changed and the knock has been steadlily lasting longer after startup. The oil pressure light goes out as soon as the engine come up to temp and only on fairly cold days does it come on at all. I would say right around freezing temps outside.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by doc2024t6 View Post
    Im a little confused by the piston slap thing. I have had the car since it was new, it has 127,000 mi. on it now and the knock is a recent development. It started shortly after having the timeing belt changed and the knock has been steadlily lasting longer after startup. The oil pressure light goes out as soon as the engine come up to temp and only on fairly cold days does it come on at all. I would say right around freezing temps outside.
    Low oil pressure is a ticket to one place: Engine damage. Was the timing belt installed correctly? Was the oil pump inspected at the time of installation? Was the gasket on it replaced?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

As near as I can tell the oil pump was never messed with and the timing belt I believe was properly in stall since I have no other issues. Everything else about the car is normal other than the knock and the ocasional oil light. Also if it makes a difference the car is completely stock.

Got a few things here. First off I made a mistake whith the milage I said earlier. I had the belt changed at 127k (I know well past the recomended interval, but had no breakage) and now just a lil shy of 130k. I have read up on alot of other peoples issues with a similar sound and the causes vary widely. Everything from the timing belt tensioner to a spun bearing. Now for a little more about the piston slap and that it is "normal". I am not meaning to be rude, but that doesnt make sense with the expereince I have had with older vehicles. Noise such as this in my experience means that something in the engine is either worn beyond its tolerances, or somthing is out of adjustment, and further use will cause severe damage and most likely a scrapped engine. I have a 78 F150 that made the same noise and lasted only about another 20 miles before the big bang. What makes it different with my WRX. Again if I am sounding rude I dont mean to, I just dont understand how piston slap can be ok.

engine warranty/ crankshaft bearing

Hey guys i got a problem with my Scooby. I have an 04 and bought the car from a Subaru dealership. about 12 hrs after buying the vehicle i had a crankshaft bearing go and it threw a rod. Dealership took care of the problem as a warranty issue. (bought the car with 34k miles) its now been about a year and a half and the same problem has happened but this time Subaru is not covering the damage under warranty. i've kept up with all my maintenance (oil changes/ fluid levels etc..) they say its lack of maintenance of oil because the bearing was blue, but i know that i kept up with my oil changes. is there anything i can do about this considering its the same thing that happened about a year and a half ago? what should my next step be? also i have tried getting the report from subaru of america but they kept saying they will send me the report but still have not. ive asked the dealership to keep all parts that they replace so i can get a second opinion.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.