quiet the car and remove old wiring
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on quiet the car and remove old wiring within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Howdy folks! I have an 05 STI which I bought used. The previous owner had a fancy stereo/audio system which ...

Question quiet the car and remove old wiring

Howdy folks! I have an 05 STI which I bought used. The previous owner had a fancy stereo/audio system which some high quality wiring that he routed from the car battery to the trunk. When he ran the wiring throughout the car, I don't think he was very gentle with it.
    Anyway, I'm not mechanically savvy enough to remove the wiring on my own plus I'd like to fix up the cabin area so that it doesn't rattle as much. Should I ask the Subaru dealership's service department to look at it or should I take it to a body shop of some sort?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No help with the wiring, but Subarus rattle. If this is your first, and especially considering the fact it's an STi, you'll be introduced to various ticks, clangs, rattles, hums, tings, tocks, thuds, thumps, knocks, hisses and psssts. With careful wedging and addition of bits of foam here and there you can get rid of some of the interior rattles, but then you'll discover more.

Part of the Subaru experience
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

you'll be introduced to various ticks, clangs, rattles, hums, tings, tocks, thuds, thumps, knocks, hisses and psssts.
    +1

Had the same noises in my parents' '94 Legacy, and have yet to see them in my '05 RS, BUT I'm patiently waiting for them

Also, if you want to quiet road noise down, look into dynamat products. Otherwise, another +1 on the inserting foam in various places thing.

As for your wiring it sounds like the previous owner had an amp/subs installed, which means there are prob a power cable from the battery, a ground cable, a remote wire from the head unit, and RCA cables also from the back of the head unit...you can pretty much just trace the wires and it will tell you how in depth it will be to remove them, of course as a precaution always disconnect the battery when removing wires...especially 12V B+ wires...As for your "rattling" noise(s)..where exactly is it coming from...is it one rattle or a bunch of different ones?...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.