Couple problems with new tmic

This is a discussion on Couple problems with new tmic within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just put a new big tmic on my 04 wrx and now I have this loud sound that almost ...

Couple problems with new tmic

I just put a new big tmic on my 04 wrx and now I have this loud sound that almost resembles a supercharger whine. I know it has to be boost related because that is the only time it does it. Car feels like it has lost some power. I have checked all the hoses and clamps and they seem to be good.

Another problem I am having is that the clutch has a sort of vibration in it. It seems to happen randomly not every time I shift. Also I can feel it when the car starts and shuts off.

I'm just looking for some ideas on what it could be. I plan on working on her tomorrow.

Thanks guys
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check your clutch fluid make sure there is no air in your lines and see if its dirty... it may just have to be blead... then check your vaccum lines everyware... and is your current tune able to sauport the new ic?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Check your clutch fluid make sure there is no air in your lines and see if its dirty... it may just have to be blead... then check your vaccum lines everyware... and is your current tune able to sauport the new ic?
    Thanks for the tips, I will check the fluid and recheck the vacuum lines.

My tuner set me up with a "safe" tune to run with my stock tmic and said when I get the new tmic installed I will be fine until I can have him retune it. Which I pan on doing within a week or two. But now I am having these two little problems, hoping they don't turn out to be too serious. I don't see how they could be, My car ran perfectly fine before the new tmic was put on
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I will check the fluid and recheck the vacuum lines.

My tuner set me up with a "safe" tune to run with my stock tmic and said when I get the new tmic installed I will be fine until I can have him retune it. Which I pan on doing within a week or two. But now I am having these two little problems, hoping they don't turn out to be too serious. I don't see how they could be, My car ran perfectly fine before the new tmic was put on
    If I'm not mistaken I thought if you go to a vf39 you had to get the sti piping and the ic as well as the tune... the whining sound could just be air in your clutch lines... this is a common problem.... so good luck and let me know what it was...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    If I'm not mistaken I thought if you go to a vf39 you had to get the sti piping and the ic as well as the tune... the whining sound could just be air in your clutch lines... this is a common problem.... so good luck and let me know what it was...
    Well I got her fixed The whinning sound was caused by the BPV not seating correctly. I had a heck of a time trying to get it on and now I know why, the neck for the reccirculation hose was hitting, kicking the bottom of the BPV out. So I put a BOV I had sitting around on untill I can get a spacer for the BPV.

The clutch vibration was caused by a line that was touching the intercooler. See pic.
    Attachment 88096

Upgrading to the Sti tmic and piping is the most common and perhaps the "best" route to go when going with the VF39, but it is not needed. The stock wrx piping and tmic will work but I do not recommend running it like that too long. Reason being, the intercooler is forced back away from the throttle body a little and causes it to not line up with the two mounts, also this causes the stock TB coupler to barely fit. And as for the tune, your tuner should be able to make a map specifically for your cars setup.
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88