Downshifting Clunk?!?!?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Downshifting Clunk?!?!?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was merging on the freeway this morning on my way to work when I realized I was in ...

Downshifting Clunk?!?!?!

So I was merging on the freeway this morning on my way to work when I realized I was in 5th and just kind of cruising along at 55-60mph when I needed to speed up and merge.

I downshifted to 3rd, did not have time to double clutch because I needed to go right away! When I did so and accelerated, I heard a big clunk/thud towards the back of the car. Made me cringe...hopefully I didn't hurt anything too bad....

From my search, I believe the clunk was my rear diff. from the hard downshift?? How bad is it and do you guys have this problem? This is my first AWD so I am learning all the nuisances that come with it.

I know double clutching will help keep the shifts smooth, is there anything else I can replace to reinforce whatever is making the sound?
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just curious. Did you by accident downshift to third or did you do it intentionally?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Turn-in Concepts

Call them and explain you're experiencing an issue with rear differential clunk. They have a "Klunk Killer" package for previous MYs, maybe they can set you up. If not, they'll tell you what to buy. After they tell you what to buy, pull out your credit card and order everything they said (I'm not kidding).

Besides that, learn to drive without shock-loading the transmission (the bushings will just mask the problem), which just takes practice.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-07-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I downshifted intentionally. I am usually really good about shifting smoothly or by rev matching. It was 5am and I was on my way to work so I guess I was lazy & tired.

Again I am new to AWD so I am still learning all there is to know.

I just need to be more careful in the future.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

Is it really necessary to double clutch in our cars? I thought we had synchros...oh well! Just seems a little unnecessary to me!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Is it really necessary to double clutch in our cars? I thought we had synchros...oh well! Just seems a little unnecessary to me!
    No it's not neccesary (of course it is debatable by many), its just a habit that I have picked up over the many years of driving and sometimes I do it just because.

Rev-matching simply makes it less jerky and smooth when downshifting, but really, it is not necessary either.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

Quote Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
    No it's not neccesary (of course it is debatable by many), its just a habit that I have picked up over the many years of driving and sometimes I do it just because.

Rev-matching simply makes it less jerky and smooth when downshifting, but really, it is not necessary either.
    I will be honest...I do rev match...but usually only when going around corners or when slowing down.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I go 5th to 3rd quite a bit.. never got a clunk while doing it though. .. hmm.. only once have I heard the "clunk" out of my 2010.. it was shifting up into 2nd on a bumpy surface under hard acceleration. Scared the crap out of me because no sooner did I get the clunk, the traction control snipped the balls right off of it.. I thought I broke something till I quickly realized the tc warning light on the dash. Doh!

as said though, I haven't had the clunk since.. rev matching goes a long way to keeping driveline components in one piece. I might look into the "clunk" kit that tic has .. or a variation they recommend for the later cars. Especially since as the car wears in the "clunk" will most likely become quite a bit more apparent.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I go 5th to 3rd quite a bit.. never got a clunk while doing it though. .. hmm.. only once have I heard the "clunk" out of my 2010.. it was shifting up into 2nd on a bumpy surface under hard acceleration. Scared the crap out of me because no sooner did I get the clunk, the traction control snipped the balls right off of it.. I thought I broke something till I quickly realized the tc warning light on the dash. Doh!

as said though, I haven't had the clunk since.. rev matching goes a long way to keeping driveline components in one piece. I might look into the "clunk" kit that tic has .. or a variation they recommend for the later cars. Especially since as the car wears in the "clunk" will most likely become quite a bit more apparent.
    Ya I know what you mean. Our car makes all kinds of interesting noises.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

Get the TiC or perrin clunk killer works like a charm. And yes most basic manual transmission made today have synchronizers. Some even have one on reverse gear.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Quote Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
    Ya I know what you mean. Our car makes all kinds of interesting noises.
    lol, if you think the scoobie's are bad.. drive a old Merkur.. those cars had noises.. all kinds of noises.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    lol, if you think the scoobie's are bad.. drive a old Merkur.. those cars had noises.. all kinds of noises.
    oh well, at least the car has character.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.