Coolant leak after fuel line recall?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Coolant leak after fuel line recall? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had the fuel line recall done on my 03 about two weeks back, and I've noticed a small coolant ...

Coolant leak after fuel line recall?

I had the fuel line recall done on my 03 about two weeks back, and I've noticed a small coolant leak since. They gave the car back to me with the coolant at the low mark on the reservoir so I just topped it off, and thought nothing of it. About a week later noticed it had gone back to the low mark, when i checked because i could smell antifreeze. I looked over everything and was not able to find the leak.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm guessing the tech must have forgot a hose clamp or something. Anyway, i'm taking it back to the dealer this week, but i just wanted to know if anyone else have had this problem, and if it could be more serious that just a missing clamp. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I had the fuel line recall done on my 03 about two weeks back, and I've noticed a small coolant leak since. They gave the car back to me with the coolant at the low mark on the reservoir so I just topped it off, and thought nothing of it. About a week later noticed it had gone back to the low mark, when i checked because i could smell antifreeze. I looked over everything and was not able to find the leak.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm guessing the tech must have forgot a hose clamp or something. Anyway, i'm taking it back to the dealer this week, but i just wanted to know if anyone else have had this problem, and if it could be more serious that just a missing clamp. Thanks!
    Ive done a few of these recalls on the WRX, most notibly the little coolant line that is kind of on the side of the surge tank that comes up between the cylinders #1 and #3 intake runners gets seriously corroded/stuck on the surge tank and you have to get that line off in order to remove the intake manifold properly, personally I would first check there ( I'm not going to lie I have broken a few )...Also if you have the means do a cooling system pressure test, the leak should become apparent, of course you could also take the car back to Subaru...

I'm having a similar problem after the fuel line recall. After every drive, I see a little coolant on top of my reservoir tank. It looks as though it's leaking around the bolts, as if the seal between the lid of the reservoir and the tank itself has failed. I have an '02 with the old metal reservoir by the way. I can't see any coolant leaking around where the hoses attach to the tank.
    Any suggestions? I was just going to get one of the new plastic tanks to see if that fixes the problem.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I have a similar issue. I actually bought the car post-fuel line recall and the previous owner said that he contacted them about the coolant smell. The shop claimed it was from spilled fluid and would go away, but it has persisted for several weeks.

I don't even notice the coolant level getting low, just an occasional smell of coolant after running the car.
    "Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual." - Edward Tufte

Bugeye Mafia #314

same issue

Yeah my metal reservoir, has fluid leaking down the bolts (where the top cap and tank connect) and on the top theres a small puddle after a drive.... now i have a crack on top of my radiator...by the way does anybody know a good place to pick up a new one? Should i get aftermarket or oem for a radiator?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jakkal256 View Post
    Yeah my metal reservoir, has fluid leaking down the bolts (where the top cap and tank connect) and on the top theres a small puddle after a drive.... now i have a crack on top of my radiator...by the way does anybody know a good place to pick up a new one? Should i get aftermarket or oem for a radiator?
    You can go both aftermarket and OEM. Call Koyo, they are in your area, and ask about what's available for your application. They have both an all-Alumunium "race" unit and an OEM-style unit.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    My upper coolant reservoir had been slowly leaking for about 2 years from under the lid. I wasn't losing anything noticeable, it was just something that was annoying to wipe up constantly. I finally replaced it recently with another used one.

My leak ended up being from the thermostat, which became obvious when pressurized. Replaced the gasket, no more leak.

I'll be replacing my upper reservoir soon. I'm going to switch to the newer plastic design.
    As for the radiator, I had to replace mine a couple of months ago as well. I would avoid an OEM one or an OEM style replacement. The plastic end tanks are the failing point of the OEM design and buying one with the same design would only present the same problem later. I went the Gimmick Motorsports (GMS) all aluminum radiator. I got it from Import Image for $210 shipped. It fit great with no problems. Others on here have also used the same radiator. Regardless, I would definitely go with an all aluminum design.
    Mods

plastic

Where did you pick up the plastic reservoir tank?, mines leaken aloottt from under the top portion of the steel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by jakkal256 View Post
    Where did you pick up the plastic reservoir tank?, mines leaken aloottt from under the top portion of the steel tank.
    I dont think I have ever seen a plastic aftermarket surge tank..at least on a Turbo Subaru, Most if not all of the new Subarus from say around I believe 07 up have plastic surge tanks...

I'm 95% sure that the newer plastic surge tanks will fit on the older models as well.
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Ive done a few of these recalls on the WRX, most notibly the little coolant line that is kind of on the side of the surge tank that comes up between the cylinders #1 and #3 intake runners gets seriously corroded/stuck on the surge tank and you have to get that line off in order to remove the intake manifold properly, personally I would first check there ( I'm not going to lie I have broken a few )...Also if you have the means do a cooling system pressure test, the leak should become apparent, of course you could also take the car back to Subaru...
    I had my fuel line recall done about a month ago, haven't driven my 2003 WRX more than twice since then. I started driving it around to clean it up in preparation for selling it and experienced tons of gray/white smoke from under my hood..

Long story short, found that I had a cracked coolant line leading from the "engine coolant filler tank" (that's what it's called in the service manual) .. I believe I've seen it referred to as the surge tank or turbo coolant reservoir...

There are three hoses exiting from the top of the tank, but the hose that was leaking on mine was from the under/side of the tank and has a 90 degree bend .. I haven't yet been able to replace this hose, I'm not sure exactly what it's called and whether it's a standard part I'll be able to find ..

Tried buying a regular hose from AutoZone and bending it, that did not work out well -- bend crimped the hose too much for my taste..

Here's a pic of the hose in question

and here are a couple of reference pictures to show the coolant reservoir tank and where my cracked hose was removed from

I'm assuming the fuel line recall work probably caused this problem that got progressively worse. I rented a radiator pressure testing kit from O'Reilly Auto Parts and found my system wasn't holding any pressure at all, I could hear the hissing when I was pumping to try to increase pressure. Quite easy to see the problem after that audible clues..

I'm going to run up to the Subaru dealer here and see if they have this hose or can order me one

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    I'll be replacing my upper reservoir soon. I'm going to switch to the newer plastic design.
    As for the radiator, I had to replace mine a couple of months ago as well. I would avoid an OEM one or an OEM style replacement. The plastic end tanks are the failing point of the OEM design and buying one with the same design would only present the same problem later. I went the Gimmick Motorsports (GMS) all aluminum radiator. I got it from Import Image for $210 shipped. It fit great with no problems. Others on here have also used the same radiator. Regardless, I would definitely go with an all aluminum design.
    Just to make you aware there have been some common issues with the GMS that you'll need to watch for. #1, it seems like most users are having problem with the drain plug o-ring rotting and leaking. #2 some people have small pin hole leaks on welds right out of the box.

Went up to my local Subaru dealer and the parts department sold me part #21204AA691 for $8.98 plus tax (description says "hose ay pre", not much info there)

Here's what it looks like pre- and post- installation

After work I'm going to empty my radiator system completely, pressure test to see if it's holding pressure, fill it back up and start up the engine and see what's what..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.