Boost Creep in a 2.0?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

This is a discussion on Boost Creep in a 2.0? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think I had my first boost creep expereince. I have a 03 WRX with a APEXi catback exhaust. I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Posts
    18

    Boost Creep in a 2.0?

    I think I had my first boost creep expereince. I have a 03 WRX with a APEXi catback exhaust. I was running at high RPMs in 3rd, changing gears when the car kinda lurched and jerked. It scared me, I thought I blew my engine or crushed my tranny. I read that with the 2.0 boostcreep wasn't a big issue, but that's what happened. I read the code that came up, it was the "Turbo/Sup wastegate solonoid A range performance" so I'm guessing it was the boostcreep. Anything else that can cause this? I have a boostguage installed, sometimes it spikes pretty high (it says 18) when I accelerate, is this normal?

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sure it wasn't fuel cut that you hit?

    Check all of your vaccuum lines to make sure they're fully connected and free of cracks. Reset the ECU and see if you get the code again.

    Catbacks shouldn't cause boost creep issues.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Posts
    18
    Yah I'm pretty sure the fuel line was shut off, but I read that the car did that in response to boost creep. I'll take my car to the dealership when the holiday is over and have them check it out, I'll update you guys on what happens in case anyone else is having similar issues. It hasn't happened again, but then I've only driven like 10 miles since then.

    Out of curiosity, is my car supposed to spike in boost pressure as high as 18?? when I'm accellerating hard, I swear my boostguage goes up to around there...

  5. #4
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavium View Post
    Yah I'm pretty sure the fuel line was shut off, but I read that the car did that in response to boost creep. I'll take my car to the dealership when the holiday is over and have them check it out, I'll update you guys on what happens in case anyone else is having similar issues. It hasn't happened again, but then I've only driven like 10 miles since then.

    Out of curiosity, is my car supposed to spike in boost pressure as high as 18?? when I'm accellerating hard, I swear my boostguage goes up to around there...

    If all you have is a cat-back as far as performance/modifications go than the answer is no you should not be hitting 18 PSI, Thats actually prob. max psi. for the stock turbo also if you have the car tuned...

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    If all you have is a cat-back as far as performance/modifications go than the answer is no you should not be hitting 18 PSI, Thats actually prob. max psi. for the stock turbo also if you have the car tuned...
    Hey EvoEatr, thanks for your response. I'm thinking maybe I have a cracked vacuum line in the turbo? Would that cause that to tell my boost guage that it spiked that high? Maybe that explains my fuel line cut?

  7. #6
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavium View Post
    Hey EvoEatr, thanks for your response. I'm thinking maybe I have a cracked vacuum line in the turbo? Would that cause that to tell my boost guage that it spiked that high? Maybe that explains my fuel line cut?
    If you do have a boost leak/vacuum leak that could def cause the gauge to go array...if you cant find any vacuum leaks/ cracked loose hoses /lines by visual inspection take a can of 2+2 Gum Cutter and with the engine running spray it around all vacuum lines/intake manifold gaskets if there is a leak,the idle should fluctuate...of course this could also be a prob with the wastegate solenoid itself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •