96 wrx not wanting to fire

This is a discussion on 96 wrx not wanting to fire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; driving the car engine jus stopd. engine winds over but will not fire any ideas? oil is a little bit ...

96 wrx not wanting to fire

driving the car engine jus stopd. engine winds over but will not fire any ideas? oil is a little bit low in the engine is it possiable for the engine to stop because there is low oil in the car? it is a subaru wrx 1996

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My first guess is fuel filter being clogged or fuel pump going out. Oil level being low won't cause it to stop firing, but if it's too low the motor could seize, but it doesn't sound like you got it that low.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

where would i find the fuel filter? i have no manual

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe it's just like the 2002 WRX here in the states, should be in the right side of the engine bay near the firewall. You'll see two lines coming out of it, one is the line in from the tank, the other is to the fuel rails.

This might help:

GC8 Impreza WRX STi Fuel Filter Change - JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

ok ive taken off the filter and tested it, its fine, i tryd starting the car without it there and there was no fuel coming through the line so im guessing a problem with the fuel pump, now i know there is a pump inside the car on the passangers side but is there one at the tank aswell? and if so is there a way to tell which of the two is the problem?, im only going by what ive read about the car online so sorry if i am wrong about how many pumps ect

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xxXStylusXxx View Post
    ok ive taken off the filter and tested it, its fine, i tryd starting the car without it there and there was no fuel coming through the line so im guessing a problem with the fuel pump, now i know there is a pump inside the car on the passangers side but is there one at the tank aswell? and if so is there a way to tell which of the two is the problem?, im only going by what ive read about the car online so sorry if i am wrong about how many pumps ect
    There should be a fuel pump in the tank. Check under the carpet in the trunk, passenger side. You should see an access panel there for tank access, 4 screws I think. Remove it and you should see the top of the pump assembly.

Take a look here:

Diy - Gc8 - Walbro Fuel Pump Installation - Rexnet Subaru Forums
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

ok thanks that helpd, so from what ive said about trying to start with no fuel going from the house that leads into the filter can i be sure that there is a problem with the fuel pump at the tank? alot of money if im wrong

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xxXStylusXxx View Post
    ok thanks that helpd, so from what ive said about trying to start with no fuel going from the house that leads into the filter can i be sure that there is a problem with the fuel pump at the tank? alot of money if im wrong
    Fairly to mostly certain that's the cause. If you're not getting any fuel pumped to the filter, it's either a major blockage in the line, or the pump itself, my money is on the pump. Might want to look into an aftermarket pump if one is available. You may be able to save some money on a Walbro over a stock pump.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!