"How hard is it to do this myself?" List
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on "How hard is it to do this myself?" List within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thought I would sitdown and come up with a list for new folks to gauge how easy or hard it ...

"How hard is it to do this myself?" List

Thought I would sitdown and come up with a list for new folks to gauge how easy or hard it would be to do maintenance or modifications on their cars without taking it to a shop or dealer. Feel free to add or update, as required.

Groundrules and Assumptions

- You have some basic mechanical skills (like turning a wrench, safely getting your car in the air, understand things like torque values, etc.)
    - You have somewhere to safely work on your car, without being interrupted (garage, carport, some flat surface).
    - You own (or have access to) some basic tools and support equipment to do the work, like socket sets, wrenches, jackstands, drip pans, etc.
    - The levels of complexity are based on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being the easiest, 5 being the most difficult.
    - You have access to a service manual, forum, or a set of instructions to do the work.
    - The vehicle references are for '02-'10 WRX or '04-'10 STI.
    - You have the ability to properly (and legally) recycle or dispose of any used fluids or maintenance consumables.
    - You completely understand the safety requirements for jacking and servicing your vehicle.

Maintenance

- Engine Oil Change, rated 1. Basic tools required. Can be accomplished with jack stands.

- Transmission Oil Change, rated 1. Same as engine oil.

- Rear Differential Oil Change, rated 1. Same as engine oil.

- Air Filter Change, rated 1. Plug-n-play type of service. No tools required.

- Cabin Air Filter Change, rated 2. Screwdriver required. Not difficult, but must remove glovebox to gain access.

- Brake Fluid Change,rated 2. Basic tools required. Need to jack car up and remove wheels. Must bleed brakes properly, as per spec.

- Brake Pad Change, rated 2 on '04-'10 STI and '06/'07 WRX, rated 3 on '02-'05, '08-'10 WRX. Do not need to remove calipers for the STI or 06/07 WRX. Basic tools required.

- Brake Rotor Change, rated 3. Basic tools required. May require an M8 bolt to remove stuck rotors.

- Rotate tires, rated 1. Basic tools required. Need torque wrench for proper lugnut torque.

- Engine Coolant Change, rated 3. Basic tools required. Must pay particular attention to procedures to ensure system is bled of all air.

- Sparkplug Change, rated 3. Basic tools required. Fairly straight-forward procedure, but difficulty increases due to access.

- Timing Belt Change, rated 4. Basic and special tools required. Should not be attempted by novices, as attention to detail is key to avoid engine damage.

- V Belt Change, rated 3. Basic tools required. Access increases complexity.

- Clutch Replacement, rated 3. Basic tools required. Limited access using jackstands increases complexity.

- Fuel Filter Replacement, rated 2 on pre-05 cars, rated 3 on +05 cars. Basic tools required. Fuel filter is moved to the fuel pump on 05 and up vehicles.

We'll do the Mod Section next...
    Last edited by Pavia; 04-03-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On your ground rules and assumptions an important requirement is to have a way to properly dispose of the waste oils.

Dumping oil down storm drains or in fields is not cool.

Most oil change places and shops will recycle for free.
    2010 Impreza WRX 5-door base model + short throw shifter

Registered User deerkiller42002's Avatar
    i agree dont dump it just burn it. haha

Autozone will take waste oil for free up to 5 gal/month.

No excuses to ruin your environment.

Good write up Pav!
    Last edited by mangostick; 10-15-2010 at 09:23 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Autozone will take waste oil for free up to 5 gal/month.

No excuses to ruin your environment.
    Advanced Auto parts doesn't have a limit. It's wierd that there would be a limit on some autoparts stores hmm

I Support ClubWRX
    Stick It

Looking forward to the updates.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Great post Pav ... very much stick worthy.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Elmers applied. Nice idea for a thread.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
    Advanced Auto parts doesn't have a limit. It's wierd that there would be a limit on some autoparts stores hmm
    I'm sure they do, whether your local store enforces it or not is the question. The reason is so that commercial operations cant use them to skirt paying for proper oil disposal.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would suggest a 1-10 scale. I also wouldn't rate a clutch job easier than a t-belt, nor would I classify it as the same difficulty as changing plugs.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    True that Trainrex

umm... if a clutch is so easy, why does subaru charge 6.5 hours for it?

I like the idea of this thread, but I just think it needs more depth - as in, could I do this with my friend, both of us are very mechanically inclined but haven't done much before, maybe add in a tool registry (you need these tools to complete this job), etc.

yeah, I guess it is pretty hard to quantify all this - I just think it's still left me a bit confuzzled. Maybe a link on each entry to some install directions?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

It is federal law that anybody that sells above a certain quantity of motor oil must also take in used motor oil for free. They are allowed to place limits on the amount however.

This law isn't really enforced though so it's no guarantee, but in general, you can take it back to a ton of places like auto parts stores, Walmart, and the like.

They get paid for the used oil so it's a win-win for them.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    umm... if a clutch is so easy, why does subaru charge 6.5 hours for it?

I like the idea of this thread, but I just think it needs more depth - as in, could I do this with my friend, both of us are very mechanically inclined but haven't done much before, maybe add in a tool registry (you need these tools to complete this job), etc.

yeah, I guess it is pretty hard to quantify all this - I just think it's still left me a bit confuzzled. Maybe a link on each entry to some install directions?
    I concur. Thank you for volunteering!
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    let's add to this
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast