Rainy Day, car stopped running! HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rainy Day, car stopped running! HELP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all, i have an 02 WRX, automatic, wagon. Today my wife was driving it and it was pouring. She ...

Rainy Day, car stopped running! HELP!

hey all, i have an 02 WRX, automatic, wagon. Today my wife was driving it and it was pouring. She was about to merge on the highway and was standing at a stop sign, and the car shut off. She started it again, and it started up and went. She said when she slows down the car shuts off. I told her to go get gas as i thought that she might be out of gas and the fuel gauge is messed up. She got gas and it worked ok she said, even when she exited off the highway, stopped at a few stop lights and made a slow incline climb to her parking lot at work. Can anyone tell me what this could be?!! any help will be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have an intake? If so is it a CAI? List your mods............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Do you have an intake? If so is it a CAI? List your mods............
    No mods. just stock. plain ol WRX

Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    No mods. just stock. plain ol WRX
    and 45K miles roughly.

anyone?!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is there any cel?

Maybe this has nothing to do with the rain as well. Check for vacuum leaks and the IAC valve may be dirty or faulty.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

nope no lights are on. but i got the car used. and i wonder if the lights are manually forced to turn off by the previous owner. the seat belt light for example flashes 3 times and then goes off. even if i am not wearing a seat belt there is no light. i talked to a guy at Auto Zone for code error read, and he said that he cant pull anything up unless there are any lights on. But he should, as the lights might be on, but are forced to turn off, therefore not showing. So wondering that is a possibility. I am driving it today no trouble. The problem doesn't seem to appear, as there is light rain today in stead of heavy and the gas is full. Also the auto zone guy recommended dry gas to get rid of any moisture. is that any good?

I Support ClubWRX
    Dry gas is not going to help unless you have excessive moisture in your gas. Sounds like your old lady hit a big arse puddle that was deep enough for water to splash into the front air scoop. The MAF probably just got wet.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

so nothing to worry about? I was guessing that the fuel pump malfunctioned, or maybe the fuel line or IV needs cleaning...

Donkey's probably right in thinking its the MAF sensor. Take it out and clean it with the CRC MAF cleaner.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

im a subi newbie... so how much work is that... taking out the MAF and cleaning it? do i need a lift, and where is the sensor located?!

If you have a stock intake im not sure of the exact location on yours. But heres where mines located on my cold air intake.

Edit- It's easy all it is, is a couple allen screws.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

i do have a stock intake. I will try this tomorrow or over the weekend and post a response! thanks all! in the meantime if you think anything else could be a reason, do let me know!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just don't put it back in backwards and note you have to spray up in the tube but not directly. The obvious bulb thing is not the sensor it is the heater. If it is just wet you don't really have to clean it but it is a good idea anyway on an older car even with the stock intake.

Is it still a problem? Seems like that would dry out driving around if not just sitting there.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

you mean spray on the inside, and not really at the bulb, as the actual sensor is what is connecting the bulb!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.