clutch replacement, shadetree style?

This is a discussion on clutch replacement, shadetree style? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone have any experience changing out their clutch with only hand tools and 4 jack stands? Would you go through ...

clutch replacement, shadetree style?

Anyone have any experience changing out their clutch with only hand tools and 4 jack stands? Would you go through the trouble again? Any words of wisdom? I've got this long weekend coming up and can take my time to do it, but I'm getting second thoughts... I've done timing belts, uppipe installs, brakes, etc, but never a clutch (by myself).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Id probably invest in an adapter for your floor jack to hold the trans for you, safely.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

The first clutch I did was in my Legacy and I did it in my driveway...It wasnt to bad just time consuming...I do have a bait and tackle so tilting the engine was no problem however you will have to find a way to do that Perhaps another jack with a couple blocks of wood under the headers or something...Just make sure you have alot of cardboard to lay on, PB blaster, and everything else you need before you start the job...I'm not sure your position on the flywheel but personally If I'm going threw the hassle of pulling the trans I always either resurface or replace the flywheel...Also if you have a haynes manual for the most part its correct in the steps to replace the clutch however I did find some discrepencies...I would also make sure you have another ride just in case something goes array...

careful when taking the tranny out(i had the pleasure of using gear oil as shampoo), when putting back in take your time, if you bleed the hell out of the clutch and the pedal still won't come up look at the back of the pedal under the dash and you will notice a nut on the rod it is connected to and adjust it as necessary to get the pedal up and there is a large pin(i believe for the clutch fork) on the left side of the tranny that has a small cover over it, if you unbolt everything else and the trans still won't come out it is probably because you overlooked this pin, once the pin is out the trans will slide out like butter.

that's what i have.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll take some pics and update the post.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifterz View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll take some pics and update the post.

Good deal! Any pics of a Subie are great! ...Also If I recall correctly I did require a band-aid or two...