violent power loss under boost - altitude related?

This is a discussion on violent power loss under boost - altitude related? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, got a bit of a problem and it's come at the worst possible time! Had my 2005 wrx ...

violent power loss under boost - altitude related?

Hi guys, got a bit of a problem and it's come at the worst possible time!

Had my 2005 wrx for about 2 months, and all running fine, except a couple of times when I appeared to have lost all boost after some hard driving, but turn off and on again and all is well.

However, I have just driven from the UK to the French Alps for a skiing / driving holiday, and have developed a big problem!

2/3 along the journey, under hard acceleration in 5th the car lost all power violently for a split second and then the engine warning light came on.

When i next filled up the light went off, so i thought all was well, but a couple of hours later it happened again.

This afternoon I took the car to a bosh service centre in Bourg. They hooked it up to computer and it had logged a turbo pressure error. Immediate thought was a leaky or blocked hose, they checked all the hoses/connectors and found a bit of blockage. We all though this would be the end of it, but a quick test drive prompty showed the problem again.

After much hunting around, they could not find anything else wrong, and they proposed that the ecu map was non standard and was not suitable for this altitude (>1000m), and told me to drive very softly

This could make sense as I seem to remember the first time it raised its ugly head was in an elevated (around 400-500m) area of france north of Dijon, but I cant be sure from memory.

However, as far as I have been told (by the seller), this car is completely standard.

So, it's looking like my holiday will turn it a big disappointment unless I can get this sorted in the next couple of days.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, and other ideas of possible cause, things to check etc etc?

Many thanks

Ben
    Last edited by modles; 03-29-2010 at 04:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like overboost fuel cut, fuel cut is violent, and the error code points in that direction. It's your engine protecting itself. You'll generally see your highest boost in 5th gear with the throttle mashed.

Do you have a boost gauge?
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Thanks for the speedy reply, appreciate it.

I don't have a boost gauge no, but what you are saying sounds right.

Question is, why is it doing it. Do you suspect also that the ecu map is funky?

Its odd, the car has full service history, and lots of historic invoices for work etc, but never any mention of non standard map.

Cheers

Ben

So no mods? Next time downshift before you mash on the pedal in 5th gear...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

forgot to say, it does it in third and fourth too

I drove down to grenoble today, altitude 200m, and its still the same, getting worse infact.

could it be a stuck wastegate?

ben

Definitely not a altitude problem, i live at 6,000 feet and drive up to 11,000+ sometimes and have never had a problem
    Blobeye Syndicate #505

Check the condition of the lines running to the wastegate actuator. Past that I only know enough to be dangerous.
    ...Rob.

I Support ClubWRX
    Need to know the exact code number and your modifications. These cars do have the ability to compensate for altitude in stock form.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Cheers guys.

I took the car to the subaru garage in Albertville today, they we're bloody useless. They spent about 30 mins looking at it and then gave up, saying they didnt have any time, even though i had booked it in. arghhhh, driving back is going to be a nightmare!

Error codes are:
    P0244 Fonc solenoide a sortie turbo (sorry its in french!)

Car as far as i know is completely stock, and has not been remapped.

Can I manually test the wastegate, will it open easily by hand?

Ben

This kinda sounds like what happened on my GTi, the problem with that was the MAP sensor. Anybody else think that could possibly be the problem?
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

Quote Originally Posted by modles View Post
    Error codes are:
    P0244 Fonc solenoide a sortie turbo (sorry its in french!)
    Here's some google hits for that code.

P0244 - Google Search

J'apprend Francais maintenant
    ...Rob.

Ok so it sounds like lengthening the wastegate arm a touch may be a quick solution for the journey back?

Thing is, i have no tools, i guess there is nothing I can do except drive back 'softly'