Wrx problems help please
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx problems help please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Over the weekend I installed AMK headers and up pipe. There is a leak in the center of the headers. ...

Wrx problems help please

Over the weekend I installed AMK headers and up pipe.

There is a leak in the center of the headers. I just went to a exhaust shop and had them weld the leak. There is still a small leak
    My turbo doesn't spool up and car runs sluggish ( I didn't try to hot rod it).

When I pulled into my driveway I noticed a faint amount of smoke. I opened hood and steam or smoke was coming from my up pipe area. The brown parts is very hot but my turbo isn't hot.

Could this be coolant that leaked when I was installing the headers an up pipe? Or do I have a serious problem. I will be going back to my stock headers asap

Please help

Can I continue driving the car to from work until I can take it to a shop to swap headers? I can fo myself but time is an issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cabikejumper View Post
    Over the weekend I installed AMK headers and up pipe.

There is a leak in the center of the headers. I just went to a exhaust shop and had them weld the leak. There is still a small leak
    My turbo doesn't spool up and car runs sluggish ( I didn't try to hot rod it).

When I pulled into my driveway I noticed a faint amount of smoke. I opened hood and steam or smoke was coming from my up pipe area. The brown parts is very hot but my turbo isn't hot.

Could this be coolant that leaked when I was installing the headers an up pipe? Or do I have a serious problem. I will be going back to my stock headers asap

Please help

Can I continue driving the car to from work until I can take it to a shop to swap headers? I can fo myself but time is an issue.
    Uh did you leave out some info? Did you buy these new or used? I'm guessing used since there is a leak. But then again it sounds new since there is color changing and some smoke like you used some new gaskets or something.

Brand new headers up pipe and gaskets. Te color didn't change it was just a faint smoke. Or a steam/sizzle. Did I frysomething Also my turbo heat shield is not on. Plus I filled my coolant up full last night (not with car running) and I looked after I opened hood and it's almost bone dry. ( with car off)

You'll be fine. The new gaskets usually smell for a little. And if you spilled antifreeze on it It's gonna smoke. Just let it run for a while and keep an eye on it.

Ok thanks

Why isn't my turbo spooling? Not enough exhaust pressure to turn turbine with the leak in headers?

Ok thanks

Why isn't my turbo spooling? Not enough exhaust pressure to turn turbine with the leak in headers?
    Hmm....no spool huh. Gotta be a leak somewhere before the turbo. Sure you don't have another leak? I find it odd you'd have a leak in the header when it was brand new. Did you use new gaskets or reuse old ones.

I used new gaskets. After I left the exhaust shop they couldn't seal the entire leak. I guess they couldn't get the bead in certian spots. So I stil. Have a leak in the headers

I used new gaskets. After I left the exhaust shop they couldn't seal the entire leak. I guess they couldn't get the bead in certian spots. So I stil. Have a leak in the headers
    You just answered your own question.

Until I put old headers on, how bad is it to drive with no turbo for a few days?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could be screwing up your AF & learning. Don't boost it like that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

what I'm still trying to wrap my head around is

"new headers"

"leak"

..... ???

I'd be back to the seller/manufacturer with teeth bared.. I'm sure that header cost you a buck or two.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    what I'm still trying to wrap my head around is

"new headers"

"leak"

..... ???

I'd be back to the seller/manufacturer with teeth bared.. I'm sure that header cost you a buck or two.
    Me too.

Throw back on your stock header and either send it back or get it welded while it's out.

The people I bought from just say they have same headers on their 06 wrx and there are no leaks. They won't respond anymore about me wanting my money back. I have already had them welded but it didn't fix the leak.

I am going back to stock headers in a few days when I have tine to change them out. Will my turbo seize if I drive with no boost?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your turbo is not being damaged.

Your A/F may be a bit off.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The people I bought from just say they have same headers on their 06 wrx and there are no leaks. They won't respond anymore about me wanting my money back. I have already had them welded but it didn't fix the leak.

I am going back to stock headers in a few days when I have tine to change them out. Will my turbo seize if I drive with no boost?
    I think its time to get with your credit card company and start a ruckus. Seriously.. I'd dispute that charge as well as the vendor. Thats not right. Was this a well known company or a "out in the garage" sort of operation? They provided you with a faulty product and no will not back it up.. thats not right.

wasn't a ebay Item by chance was it?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.