wrx burning alot of oil need help

This is a discussion on wrx burning alot of oil need help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 03 wrx. Just rebuilt the engine, new crank new rings new bearings, all new gaskets and seals, ...

Angry wrx burning alot of oil need help

i have a 03 wrx. Just rebuilt the engine, new crank new rings new bearings, all new gaskets and seals, i rebuilt the turbo, have all head work done and the car is burning oil like crazy. didnt at first but with like 30 miles on the rebuild all of a sudden it started. Its burning alot like 3 quarts every 20 miles. as soon as you start it up its a smoke show. Its not the turbo, or valve seals. Im thinking its either piston rings are not seated or a vacuum line is messed up? Ive searched all threads. And im going to school for automotive too.
    Please let me know if anyone has any ideas what it is or suggestions!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Burning or leaking?

burning and all cylinder compression is 150

I wish I knew and could help you but def not qualified but I want to know when you know because thats weird that compression is all the same on all cylinders. I would think the only thing it could be was the rings. Unless oil is getting into the intake system because the turbo is messed up and oil is getting by. Im interested to hear the final results. I know when turbos go out in our semi's they smoke like a *****.

Yeah I dont know what is going on. I hope someone can tell me. Im starting to put the engine back together and im going to try a few things.

anyone?

Id take it back to whoever rebuilt the motor cause obviously whoever did the job messed up somewhere... and did you do the break in proceedure? Ie keeping the speeds below 55 change the oil after the first 1k miles drive slow with little to no boost? Also id probally have to guess it has something to do with the piston rings if they are not set to the right bore then your oil is gonna go up past the heads and end up burning away...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Since your compression is in check, I'm leaning towards a head problem, either with the valves, or a head gasket. It's obviously hemorrhaging oil into the combustion chambers.

Have you taken off the intercooler to check to make sure the turbo isn't blowing oil into the intake charge?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I rebuilt the motor and everything is the way it should be. And the motor has 50 miles on it. havent taken it past 2500 rpms. I just took the heads and every thing turned out fine and there is no blow by on the piston rings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra View Post
    I rebuilt the motor and everything is the way it should be. And the motor has 50 miles on it. havent taken it past 2500 rpms. I just took the heads and every thing turned out fine and there is no blow by on the piston rings.
    If your turbo is healthy, odds are your oil rings are incorrect, or installed incorrectly.