My gas mileage just disappeared. Help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My gas mileage just disappeared. Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car is a 2004 STi. I just bought this car at 70,000 miles. All my driving is in town ...

My gas mileage just disappeared. Help!

My car is a 2004 STi. I just bought this car at 70,000 miles. All my driving is in town and I don't drive the car hard or brake quickly. The last two tanks averaged ~13mpg. I was shocked, so I checked my tire pressure. The front wheels were 10psi under the reccomended 36 and the rear tires were at 19psi rather than the reccomended 30. I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the mileage drop or if it could be something else. I just changed the oil and got new spark plugs the day I purchased it, so those aren't the cause.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tire pressure that low will definitely impact your mpg pretty hard. What mpg were you at before? The STI isn't exactly a hyper miler even if you do try to drive like a granny.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    what plugs did you install? Did you change the fuel filter? How is your air filter?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    what plugs did you install? Did you change the fuel filter? How is your air filter?
    I'm going to blame it on someone stealing your car while you were sleeping and hammering on the peddle. Or someone syphoning your gas :-).

In all seriousness give it another tank or two after you fill the tires and you will have your answer.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lpptundwrx View Post
    +1
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Like mentioned above,tire pressure can greatly impact MPG's. So will state of tune. List your mods.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I noticed something interesting about my car.

As boost goes up..... so does fuel pressure..... regardless of the RPMs.

You would "think" that by "grannying" the car around town, and shifting a low RPMs would save gas...... It doesn't.

When you shift too soon, you're in a gear too high for the speed you're going... so the turbo wants to compensate by boosting, even under the slightest acceleration. If you're turbo is working... so is your fuel pump.

It is actually BETTER for mileage to accelerate slowly...... but shift at a higher RPM..... keeping you at a constant state of vaccuum, not boost.

Let's say you're driving up a mountain at 65 mph.

In 5th gear.... you're probably boosting 3-5 psi, and pumping approximately 35-40 psi of fuel, even though you're engine is only turning maybe 3k rpms.

In 4th gear..... you're likely not boosting at all, and only pumping 20-25 psi of fuel, but you're turning nearly 4k rpms.

.... and you're getting better gas mileage in 4th.

Long story short.... maybe you altered you're driving style to try to save gas.... and it ended up working against you? In a non-turbo car, it works. In a turbo car, it doesn't.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 03-30-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.