04 WRX pulsing under WOT

This is a discussion on 04 WRX pulsing under WOT within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have just bought my first wrx after trading in my legacy and noticed that the car seems to "pulse" ...

04 WRX pulsing under WOT

I have just bought my first wrx after trading in my legacy and noticed that the car seems to "pulse" when the throttle is wide open. Especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. It feels like the throttle is being lifted very lightly and very quickly on and off until about 5,000 rpm then smooths out. The tach doesn't show any unsmooth movement and I don't think thats its any type of ignition break up. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have a boost gauge hooked up? If not, get one, and reply if the boost seems to fluctuate in time with the pulses.

(I had a similar issue in my 04 WRX that was caused by a badly adjusted wastegate actuator. My boost would fluctuate between 6 and 16 psi at WOT. After adjusting the actuator, I now hold a steady 14psi.)