Adding coolant.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Adding coolant. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My coolant level is less than the lower level. I was going to add some but i don't know what ...

Adding coolant.

My coolant level is less than the lower level. I was going to add some but i don't know what coolant was last put in it; the OM says DO NOT MIX COOLANTS. Do i need to do a flush or can i just add as long as the coolant is the same color?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If the level is low find out why and fix it.

There are coolants that are universally compatible with any other coolant; Peak Global comes to mind. These will say so on the container. Or, just use distilled water.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I always use distilled water in the cooling system. Some municipal water supplies are high in various minerals (hard water).

Moving to: General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-26-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

distilled water

So just add distilled water to whatever coolant is already in there? That's it?
    Last edited by zeus32; 03-26-2010 at 06:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zeus32 View Post
    So just add distilled water to whatever coolant is already in there? That's it?
    If you are only low by a relatively small amount, yes. Can you see how much by the level in the overflow tank?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Its about a inch past the low line, I also don's see a radiator cap. Do i have to remove something to get to it? Thanks sir

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    If you are only low by a relatively small amount, yes. Can you see how much by the level in the overflow tank?
    Its about a inch past the low line, I also don's see a radiator cap. Do i have to remove something to get to it? Thanks sir

I Support ClubWRX
    If your car is a bugeye it may only have one radiator cap, and confusingly enough cars like that (mine included) do not have the radiator cap on the... radiator. They have it on a reservoir toward the top and passenger side of the engine, near the turbo and near the passenger side strut tower.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If your car is a bugeye it may only have one radiator cap, and confusingly enough cars like that (mine included) do not have the radiator cap on the... radiator. They have it on a reservoir toward the top and passenger side of the engine, near the turbo and near the passenger side strut tower.
    The car is a 02 wrx, the only cap i see is a yellow cap on the driver side.

Ok i found the cap in front of the turbo. Thanks, here's a amateur question for you. Do i add coolant directly into the metal radiator cap or just fill up the reservoir (plastic cap)?

I Support ClubWRX
    If there is no fault in the system generally the radiator cap is left alone between flushes (that is, for ~30,000 mile intervals). So in a healthy car just top off the "white" plastic reservoir on the nose of the car near the driver's side headlamp.

In a car that's not healthy... find the leak and fix it. Sorry, not followed your other posts -- do you smell any coolant or see any white or green residue or juice anywhere?

If there is no fault in the system generally the radiator cap is left alone between flushes (that is, for ~30,000 mile intervals). So in a healthy car just top off the "white" plastic reservoir on the nose of the car near the driver's side headlamp.

In a car that's not healthy... find the leak and fix it. Sorry, not followed your other posts -- do you smell any coolant or see any white or green residue or juice anywhere?
    No coolant smell and i've never spotted any leaking fluid anywhere. I think its all good. Do you know where i can find a post on how to flush the radiator? I know I'm supposed to know how to do this but i'm a youngster and don't have much experience with mechanics. Thanks for being so helpful.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's very feasible but it's not much fun. Read this, it covers a complete rad install and will familiarize you with the system:

How To: Install aftermarket radiator (Koyo racing rad), and flush the coolant - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

You will need to find the drain plug on the lower passenger side of the rad, hidden by the metal rail under the rad. To do so either remove the air intake "funnel" piece from the nose and look down the side of the rad or go under the car (NEVER get under a car on a jack! Either leave it on the ground safely on four wheels or use ramps or jack stands!).

Also look through these threads:

ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - Search Results

As a whole they contain info on burping the system (this is CRUCIAL) and tidbits here and there. Since you're not doing it tonight (it's 22:00 PST on a Friday!) there's some time. If you're still up for it, tackle it only after reading up in my opinion. Also, have the correct coolant (either Subaru factory stuff or something like Peak Global that is compatible with everything under the sun) plus some distilled water and lots of time and patience.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.