spark plug questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on spark plug questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone... I have an 06 wrx and I reciently put a set of platnum 2's in it and autozone ...

spark plug questions

Hey everyone... I have an 06 wrx and I reciently put a set of platnum 2's in it and autozone told me to gap them to .044... so my question being are the platnum's good in these cars or are the irredium plugs better? And is the .044 gap corect for the platnums?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

imo irridiums are the best. but hey its your ride what ever you feel comfortable with

Some do better in other cars I've ussally always went with platnum plugs but I just wasn't sure what these cars respond better too...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

From the 06 Service Manual:

Spark Plug Gap: mm(in): 0.7-0.8(0.028-0.031)
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    From the 06 Service Manual:

Spark Plug Gap: mm(in): 0.7-0.8(0.028-0.031)
    Is that for irredium plugs or does that matter? Cause I thought that it varies from different kinds of plugs...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Is that for irredium plugs or does that matter? Cause I thought that it varies from different kinds of plugs...
    Irridium. That's what's called out in the manual.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

The STI comes with these. Thats probably the best to go with. NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs (One Step Colder) Subaru STI 2.5L 04+

The Spark Plug Serious Enthusiasts Rely On

Iridium IX Spark Plugs are the most technologically advanced high performance plugs available. Featuring a 0.6 mm iridium center electrode tip, they offer superior ignitability without sacrificing durability. The tapered ground electrode increases flame kernel expansion, while the superior heat range design is ideally suited to the demands of high performance environments. Specially designed to meet the needs of serious enthusiasts, Iridium IX Spark Plugs offer outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and long life. When you demand the most from your engine, rely on the proven performance of NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs.

NGK's new Iridium IX is the personification of these qualities and takes premium performance spark plugs to a new level. A level that is expected from the world leader in spark plugs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hope you didnt install them. I wouldnt use anything but the iridium plugs. Also... You cant really gap an iridium plug.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Hope you didnt install them. I wouldnt use anything but the iridium plugs. Also... You cant really gap an iridium plug.
    Thats what I thought. I was under the impression that they where gapped from the factory. That is why you have to specify what car you have and cant just get any plug. Also you will screw up the electrode on any of the new high performance plugs because the electrodes are so small and are made of such soft metals. Platinum is softer than gold.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey everyone... I have an 06 wrx and I reciently put a set of platnum 2's in it and autozone told me to gap them to .044... so my question being are the platnum's good in these cars or are the irredium plugs better? And is the .044 gap corect for the platnums?
    Platinium 2's? You mean the Bosch plugs? The .044 gap is for the NA 2.5L not the turbocharged 2.5L's.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

they are autolite platinum 2's... yeah i did install them... and they did verify that it was the 2.5 turbo... the dumbasses @ autozone said they were the preferred oem plug for it... it is accelerating kind of sluggishly... damn now im gonna have to tear it apart again and replace them...
    Last edited by 06scoobyrex; 03-26-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need plugs gapped at 0.030 0.002"

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Explain, considering Subarus come with NGK Platinum plugs from the factory.

I'm not using Iridiums because my car keeps rejecting them. Though Coppers need to be changed quite often so I think I may give them 1 more shot.

Spark Plug FAQ: Read if you want spark plug information! - NASIOC
    Last edited by brfatal; 03-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.

IMHO, it would just make sense that something so important, that is going in your car for 60,000 miles, that is not a snap install, that is so inexpensive... you would want to go with the type (iridium) called out by the OEM. Just me though...

I'm staring right now at the same service manual the Subaru techs use for a 2006 WRX and it clearly states "Iridium" (NGK). I don't know what other years call for.

PS... yes, the irridium plugs come pregapped.
    Last edited by Pavia; 03-27-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    IMHO, it would just make sense that something so important, that is going in your car for 60,000 miles, that is not a snap install, that is so inexpensive... you would want to go with the type (iridium) called out by the OEM. Just me though...

I'm staring right now at the same service manual the Subaru techs use for a 2006 WRX and it clearly states "Iridium" (NGK). I don't know what other years call for.

PS... yes, the irridium plugs come pregapped.
    The cost wasn't the issue... they told me that the platnum plugs were the oem recomended type... I tried to get the irridium plugs and they only had 2 of them then I tried 2 other stores in my area and they were out... so I would've checked around more but I had my 3 month old son with me and he stared getting fussy so I just decided to get those on the notion that they told me they were the oem recomendation.... so I guess ill look around for some again here in like a few days and replace them... thank you for your help though everyone...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

The cost wasn't the issue... they told me that the platnum plugs were the oem recomended type... I tried to get the irridium plugs and they only had 2 of them then I tried 2 other stores in my area and they were out... so I would've checked around more but I had my 3 month old son with me and he stared getting fussy so I just decided to get those on the notion that they told me they were the oem recomendation.... so I guess ill look around for some again here in like a few days and replace them... thank you for your help though everyone...
    No, I understand.

Order online if you can't get local

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast