Frustrated...2010 WRX...problems already?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Frustrated...2010 WRX...problems already?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just got a 2010 WRX 5-door Limited about 2 weeks ago - everything was great. But when the ...

Frustrated...2010 WRX...problems already?! (Update: Problem Fixed)

So I just got a 2010 WRX 5-door Limited about 2 weeks ago - everything was great. But when the dealer put in my boost gauge, I noticed that the car won't boost past 5psi! The car has about 850 miles now so I wanted to test out the power. I went WOT at 3rd, 4th, and 5th and noticed that the boost gauge only went up to 4-5psi.....ugh.....brand new car and an issue already (just my luck...) I have taken it up to about 5-5.5k max since I am still at the end of my break-in, but at full throttle, I should be seeing at least 13psi. At idle, the vacuum shows 20 in/Hg so I am assuming it is hooked up correctly??

I really hope it is nothing major..the dealer will be taking a look at it on Thursday while they put on my new SPT exhaust...The car feels like it pulls fine, so I am hoping it it just the gauge.....

Sorry all...I am done venting now....
    Last edited by hieu1004; 03-25-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Likely a bad gauge or kink in the tubing preventing a proper reading. And while I assume you have a good gauge, there was a recall last year with earlier production units, maybe it was sitting on the shelf for a long time and you got one of those. Either way, I'm sure they'll fix it.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd have the dealer check it out. Something isn't correct

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Does the car feel sluggish? Wouldn't you have noticed if you were down on power before the gauge was installed? Maybe it is just an installation problem or a defective gauge.

Good luck, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    Does the car feel sluggish? Wouldn't you have noticed if you were down on power before the gauge was installed? Maybe it is just an installation problem or a defective gauge.

Good luck, T.J.
    It pulls hard, it has never decreased in power, but then again...this is the first WRX I have ever driven...so I don't know what to compare it to. But just from listening to the turbo and using my butt dyno, the car feels fine. Also, since I have been in the break-in period, I have been driving like a grandma, with occasional spurts here and there...

If the gauge is defective, shouldn't the vacuum be reading incorrectly as well?
    Last edited by hieu1004; 03-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

I Support ClubWRX
    Trust me, if you were only hitting 5psi, you'd feel it. Probably a simple installation error.
    2010 SSM STI

your car would feel like a honda in reverse if you were only hitting 5 psi get that checked out

Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    your car would feel like a honda in reverse if you were only hitting 5 psi get that checked out

Ya, I am sure it is probably just an installation error. It definitely does not feel slow.....1st, 2nd, 3rd pulls very very nicely.......
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

I Support ClubWRX
    They might have just forgot the "restrictor pill" for the boost gauge. Some gauges have it built into the gauge inlet and some it has to be added to the vacuum line to the gauge. Either way take it back so they can fix it for free and verify that is the problem and not something else.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    They might have just forgot the "restrictor pill" for the boost gauge. Some gauges have it built into the gauge inlet and some it has to be added to the vacuum line to the gauge. Either way take it back so they can fix it for free and verify that is the problem and not something else.
    this, or kink/leak in the tubing. You should be able to open your hood and check pretty easily.

Update - they fixed the issue. It was a vacuum leak in one of the hoses. Will be picking up my car today. What a relief...
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.