Buying a new wrx limited soon, couple questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buying a new wrx limited soon, couple questions. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, just wanted to first off say that I've been reading these forums quite a bit when thinking of ...

Buying a new wrx limited soon, couple questions.

Hey all, just wanted to first off say that I've been reading these forums quite a bit when thinking of the wrx. I think I have decided to get a '10 wrx limited in the next couple weeks.

Anyways, I live near downtown LA, and I know that you can bring to any dealer with your warranty, so I was wondering which LA dealer is the best option for repairs/maintenance/oil changes/ect.

Also, I think the general consensus is mobil 1 synthetic, what is your opinion on that? also what grade should I use 5w30? or something else?

Mostly going to be using this as my daily driver so not drag racing or anything like that . Also, don't plan on modding anything yet. The only options I was thinking of getting were the short throw shifter + armrest extender and the floor mats.
    Anything else you would suggest as for options?

I also read about subby specialties in monrovia which is about 20 miles away, it seems like it comes highly recommended. Do you think I should take it there after warranty?

Hmm, can't think of anything else at the moment but let's start it off with those

Thanks,
    DoubleB
    Last edited by doubleb; 03-21-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Adding

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stick with the dealer provided oil through the first 10k mi..(its a synth blend) this aids in engine/ring breakin. Technically the first 1k Mi are for break in, however full break in doesn't complete until the first 10k or so miles (this is all engines btw, those with harder ring material can take longer) Once you're at 10k you can run any synthetic you set your heart on. Viscosity wise, you should use whatever Subaru spec's for your local ambient temperatures. Most likely 5w30.
    Are you planning on servicing the car yourself or having the dealer take care of it? If you're going to have the dealer do your oil changes and basic maintenance.. there's no need to worry about these details.

Once you change over to synthetic remind them of that when you bring it in (I do, have 13K on my 2010 currently) but other than what type of oil you want to use they'll take care of the rest. Most dealers will also use your oil if you supply it.

I recommend having any new car dealer serviced for regular stuff unless your impeccable about creating and retaining service records. Just in case any warranty issue should come up. Its unlikely.. but just in case.

The package you're going to order will come with floor mats, the cargo nets for the rear are useful, .. the short shifter is always a good Idea. The factory standard shifter is not only a little long in the throws its a bit squishy on engagement. Other than that for a daily driver they're great cars. I've put alot of seat time into mine so far and have had nothing but fun with it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thanks for your reply. Yes I was planning on letting the dealer do all the work.

Also, would like a local's opinion on which of the 5-6 dealerships in Los Angeles have the best service department? I read that any dealer can use the warranty , not just the one you bought it at, that's correct right? Also, opinions on the monrovia repair shop?

oh and mango, I meant the "all - weather mats" which were only like 40 bucks. I also got the back cargo tray thing for another 40 or so cause I'll be putting my shedding dog in the back :P

aha.. had a feeling about the mats .. guess I shoulda went on it and assumed thats what you meant.

I hear ya about the dog too.. I have a 80lb american bulldog that just LOVES to get his little white hairs all over my interior. Its a bear sitting in there with a lint roller getting it all back out after a longer trip. He's too big to Isolate in the very back, so I have a kurgo pet hammoc ( Kurgo - Wander Hammock ) that we attach to the front seats and lay out rearward with the rear seats down. Put his bed ontop of that and he's a happy camper. Keeps him from trying to get up into the front between the seats and leaves plenty of room in the very back for cargo (the built in hooks make strapping it down easy too.. I get paranoid about stuff flying around in a accident so everything gets strapped down when the seats are down) The Kurgo cover keeps the hair impact down quite a bit. Of course open a window and its all over anyway. Love my dog, hate his fur lol.

cant tell ya much about the local shops though since I'm in Va.. there is a post either on here or nasioc that contains dealer feedback from lots of people from all over the country. I found it in a basic search.
    When I was shopping I went and gave it a good read. Didn't find my dealer on there but so far have had good experience. Yes to your question about warranty, should follow you anywhere you go until its expired so any dealer can handle your service/warranty needs. I personally like to stick to the one with the service records.. just to keep things congruent if something does go bad.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Haha wow, I love that freakin hammock thing!

That thing is sweet and a really good find, very, very nice!

Do you think a dog can fit in the very back area for like trips around town? Not necessarily big trips.

He's an 80 lb white german shepherd.

But I know all too well the dreaded lint roller. I work in a kitchen so every time I go in , everything i'm wearing is lint rolled

I looked into the dealer feedback post on this one and didn't see much about LA ones, I'll check the other site.

I personally like to stick to the one with the service records.. just to keep things congruent if something does go bad.
    What did you mean by that? Bring it to the own you bought the car at or just once you pick one out, go there over and over? Cause the place that gives you the best deal might not have the best service dept.

I meant that once you settle with a service dept you like, stick with em through the warranty period as best you can. That way if anything gets odd they have records to back you up.

As for the very back, cj's a wide dog.. And until he's settled he sits up so he can see. He'd be pretty cramped in the very back mostly because he wouldn't have much room to shift around. Lying down would be ok though. Depends on your dog. If he's the type to lay down and chill he'll be ok back there. Yours is taller and longer nose to tail than my dog is though.. You'd have to try it out and see how he fits.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Ya usually after bout 2-3 minutes, he's like lay down and chill

But ya, i'll have to actually drive w/ him to see if he can do it.

OH ya, thanks for confirming on the repair shop as well.

Still, if any local people here in LA have any suggestion on which dealer is the best, drop in and tell me

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.