'02 WRX All cylinder misfire
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '02 WRX All cylinder misfire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; (Sorry for a long story) I've had my car for almost 2 years, and I've had the CEL since day ...

'02 WRX All cylinder misfire

(Sorry for a long story) I've had my car for almost 2 years, and I've had the CEL since day 1...

History: Bought the car from a volvo dealer with 55k miles, that had a new clutch put in, it also had like a 3" TBE (catless), CAI, and BOV. Driving home and the CEL comes on. Had it checked to be something like "inadequate back pressure", probably due to the missing cats. THe only other issue was a gear grind btwn neutral and 1st, which is when I learned that a 12 lbs flywheel was put in during the clutch install. I also took it to a Subaru performance place called P &L here in Illinois, where they cited no particular mechanical issues.

At 60k I get the service done at Subaru, and things are still running well. I also put on the stock BPV, air box, and exhaust. The CEL did not go off, but I'm not worried because the car runs great, and I figured I just needed to reset the ECU. I THINK someone mentioned something about a Cyl 1 misfire when I had the stock exhaust put on, but I didn't pay it much attention (denial).

Fast forward about 1 year and now at 90k. The car runs pretty rough, in cold winter start up (Chicago). The mechanic at subaru did the fuel line recall and said the car is running like dog- basically the engine shakes at idle, and during start up it sounds like it is missing and the car shakes. Went to autozone and they said I have a P0301 and P0303 misfire. The plugs looked great, but I noticed cyl 1 coilpack was a little beat. SO I replaced cyl 1 coil pack and I thought I noticed a slight improvement, and so I later replaced the cyl 3 coildpack. I also cleaned the MAF. Still I had the CEL, rough start, and the engine shake.

Now, the car starts a lot better in warmer weather...on cold start up (8+ hours of sitting), the engine will rev smoothly to 2k rpm then quickly fall to a stable 1.5k. As opposed to in winter it would rev very roughly to 1.5k and bounce around a little, and I can hear some exhaust backfire. Today I went back to autozone - All 4 cylinders have the misfire code.

I put in a bottle of 20gallon Chevron fuel injector cleaner today. I am positive the car is running smoother than I have seen in a long time. I looked at the fuel filter, and it looked like it could be the original one (caked in oil residue). I also changed to Royal Purple oil from Mobil 1. In the current state I drove it today (it was cold), the car doesnt seem to be misfiring at start (but not cold start) or during driving.

I am hesitant to take it back to Subaru. The service writer was trying to talk me into replacing the Head gasket at a cost of $2500 because of a coolant smell. THe coolant smell (coolant was smoking) was the fault of the mechanic who forgot to put on a coolant hose, which was why I had to go back there in the first place after I had the fuel line recall fixed. Additionally, they stated there were air bubbles in my coolant, trying to get me to agree to a head gasket replacement... I have had no leaks (until they forgot to put on the hose), no oil burning, no overheating, etc. Also, I just don't have piece of mind after they fix something...and I haven't come across any posts about Subaru fixing someone's misfire code.

So is it Fuel, head gasket, ecu, lightened flywheel? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I recommend you change the fuel filter if it looks old. Stay away from Royal Purple. A lightened flywheel I heard could cause false misfire readings.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Im having the same problem! I also changed my fuel filter, and plugs about 1,500 miles ago. Thought i might be a false code because the car still runs like a dream
    Blobeye Syndicate #505

I have the been experiencing the same problems you have been for over 2 yrs. Basically from what I can gather the lighten flywheel is causing the problems. I have tried everything you have tried and then some, pretty much given up hope of solving this problem. The only other thing that I haven't tried which was recommended to me by a fellow subaru owner was to dial up the fuel pressure regulator so the fuel line holds slightly more fuel. However, I am not a mechanic and not entirely sold on this idea. Good luck with the search and If you solve the problem please let me know.

Good luck to you guys too. Does anyone happen to have an aftermarket ECU upgrade? Maybe the ecu flash would help in the case you didnt (I dont).

There must be a fix, and if if i come across it, i will let you guys know, thanks for the uinput

im having the same problem as u guys but when i log the car with the opensource everything is mint all the way up to 7500rpms noknock nothing ive had the flywheel in for a few months now but am beginning to think its that or a faulty 02sensor since i had the code for 02sensors in the past till i deleted them from the ecu but car still runs fine just scary when the light pops on and says cylinder misfire

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you guys using flywheels lighter than, say, roughly 6 kg? If so I'd suspect the flywheel if you can correlate its presence with the problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.