p0447 code

This is a discussion on p0447 code within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is there anyone that can explain to me what this code is p0447 (evaporative emission control system vent control circuit ...

Registered User 2005_silver_wrx's Avatar

p0447 code

is there anyone that can explain to me what this code is p0447 (evaporative emission control system vent control circuit open )
    and also an EV code. id like to know what it is and if i have to get it fixed asap?
    someone told me its to do with my cat back exhaust, is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The code is reporting a problem with emissions from the fuel tank and/or filler.

First, check that the gas cap is on securely and let the car go through a few start/stop cycles.

If you can smell fuel, suspect a leak in the filler or the cap itself etc.

If you still have the CEL, the next thing to do in some place like AZ or SoCal in the US is to look at the evap canister itself (on the "inside" of the fill tube; it's easier to visualize this looking at a diagramme or the underside of the car on the passenger side than for me to describe it). Since you are in BC my money is on corrosion on the harness to the canister.

EDIT: In fact, here's an older post from a guy in WI, US:
    http://www.scoobymods.com/p0447-evap...rol-t4136.html
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-21-2010 at 12:37 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

doubt check the gas cap will fix it, that usually throws a gross evap leak code. that code refers to the vent control circuit, specifically to the connectors at the evap canister behind the passenger wheel. it's pretty easy to get to, so get a nice flashlight and check the connector, my bet is that some water (as in the linked post) got in the connector or the connector itself is damaged.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

thanks alot guys a appreciate it, i might try and fix this problem today if i can. Another thing to is im burning way more gas than usual and i dont know why, i dont think that p0447 code would do it would it? I know i have old spark plugs so ive got some coming but i dont think that just changing spark plugs is gonna fix this problem and the only other code i have is o2 sensor which i know doesnt help gas mileage but it shouldnt be this bad, any suggestions??

I Support ClubWRX
    Pls. list specific code number and also list all modifications.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the only codes i had showing were p0447, ev code and o2 sensor code, and the only after market part i have on is a vibrant performance cat back exhaust. had a cold air intake for a week but took it off. Im in the process of getting my car in to a subaru dealer for a good tune up cause it really needs it.
    I use to have a access port but one day it just stopped working on me and i had my car in fuel economy mode which its still suppose to be cause i never changed it since.
    what i have noticed since i took the cold air off is, i get quite a bit more psi out of my turbo for some reason, all i did was clean my maf sensor which i dont think makes sense why id get more boost and i dont have a boost gauge so i dont know how much more im gettting. so ya for fuel economy mode i get pretty bad fuel mileage

it actually feels like my car went from fuel economy mode to like stage 2, without doing anything

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry I don't know what "ev code" and "O2 sensor code" actually are.

With any modifications it is safer to have a boost gauge.

I'd post on the Cobb forums on their site to see why your AP is not working. It's a solid state device with no moving parts.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-21-2010 at 08:04 AM.

well that ev code is to do with the evaporative emission control and o2 is my oxygen sensor and i beleive its the back one cause its in direct air flow and with my performance exhaust it trigures my o2 sensor. Im not worried about them sensors now that i know about the p0447 code. the thing that gets me now is all the power im getting out of my car without touching anything. I donno if its good power or bad power if there is such a thing as bad power? but thanks for the advice

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005_silver_wrx View Post
    well that ev code is to do with the evaporative emission control and o2 is my oxygen sensor and i beleive its the back one cause its in direct air flow and with my performance exhaust it trigures my o2 sensor.
    You mentioned a catback exhaust. This does not affect either O2 sensor.

ok so then it needs replacement i guess

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry there's no way of knowing what, if anything, may need replacement without the specific codes. I'd recommend taking the car to a shop at this stage.

yep well in a couple of weeks im gonna bring it in to the subaru dealer for a big tune up, the only thing i hate is i know they are gonna soak me bad but im gonna try and get a quote out of them, to see around what its gonna cost me, but if its got to be done its got to be done. the thing that sucks around here is that there isnt any import shops or anything so most people around here dont have a clue about subaru's so dealer is the only place i guess