Short Throw Install went bad - please help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Short Throw Install went bad - please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I put the Kartboy short throw in my WRX tonight - went fine. When I put the bushings in (the ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Short Throw Install went bad - please help!

I put the Kartboy short throw in my WRX tonight - went fine. When I put the bushings in (the OEM bushing was such a PITA to get out!), I overtightened the screw and the tip broke off.

I was able to take a bunch of stuff off, and get the mount for that screw off.

I attached a pic of the part with the busted screw. Anyone know this part number? How do I get a new one? The screw inside the pipe seems welded, so I don't know how to get a new one.

Thanks! The WRX is out of commision (so I will have to drive my wife's MINI) until I get this back on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00012-20100320-2049.jpg  
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I did the same recently, and yes the OEM short throw bushing was a bear to get off.

Sorry, I do not know the part number. When you get the replacement keep in mind the torque spec is quite low.

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks - I have seen that picture (but only after I broke it!).

I found the part number I need, and it is cheap. For those who have done this, some googling got me the part number:

35033AA022

Funny - once I google that number to try and buy it, all I get is a ton of hits on NASOIC and other clubs that are essentially recaps of how mine went down.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I put the Kartboy short throw in my WRX tonight - went fine. When I put the bushings in (the OEM bushing was such a PITA to get out!), I overtightened the screw and the tip broke off.

I was able to take a bunch of stuff off, and get the mount for that screw off.

I attached a pic of the part with the busted screw. Anyone know this part number? How do I get a new one? The screw inside the pipe seems welded, so I don't know how to get a new one.

Thanks! The WRX is out of commision (so I will have to drive my wife's MINI) until I get this back on!
    Ah yes, Ive broken many of these....Thankfully there a dime a dozen at the salvage yard ( of course pulling them out is 9/10 of the battle) plus I believe most 5 spd Subarus in general use the same exact part....

I Support ClubWRX
    I ordered the replacement bracket from the Subi dealer in town. However, now I realize I don't remember how the transmission mount goes back on. There is the cross-member that goes from side to side of the car. The transmission mount (which runs front to back direction) connects to it. There is a small bracket that attaches to these 2 members where the 2 large bolts go.

I can't remember if the small bracket goes between the two mounts, or underneath both (so that the bolt goes through the small bracket first, then the length-wise mount, and finally the cross member - as opposed to going through the length-wise mount, then the small bracket sandwiched inbetween, and finally they cross member). Does any one have a picture of how they go back on? If so, are there torque specs for the entire assembly that I can look at?

Thanks so much.
    Michael

I ordered the replacement bracket from the Subi dealer in town. However, now I realize I don't remember how the transmission mount goes back on. There is the cross-member that goes from side to side of the car. The transmission mount (which runs front to back direction) connects to it. There is a small bracket that attaches to these 2 members where the 2 large bolts go.

I can't remember if the small bracket goes between the two mounts, or underneath both (so that the bolt goes through the small bracket first, then the length-wise mount, and finally the cross member - as opposed to going through the length-wise mount, then the small bracket sandwiched inbetween, and finally they cross member). Does any one have a picture of how they go back on? If so, are there torque specs for the entire assembly that I can look at?

Thanks so much.
    Michael
    Does this help?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Thanks - I have seen that picture (but only after I broke it!).

I found the part number I need, and it is cheap. For those who have done this, some googling got me the part number:

35033AA022

Funny - once I google that number to try and buy it, all I get is a ton of hits on NASOIC and other clubs that are essentially recaps of how mine went down.
    Be careful you dont strip the holes in the body for the trans. crossmembers...Once they are stripped they are a PITA to get to thread again...most of the time they dont rethread...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Does this help?
    Ahhhhh.... I think the "bracket" I was talking about is the part "10, 2, 3 combo" in your picture. This seems right to me as I swore I pulled it off the bottom.
    Last edited by mjboudreaux77; 03-22-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: I think the picture is wrong...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Be careful you dont strip the holes in the body for the trans. crossmembers...Once they are stripped they are a PITA to get to thread again...most of the time they dont rethread...
    Usually my luck is pretty bad, but I put the crossmembers back on to hold the transmission in place while I waited for the bracket to come in. I was able to hand tighten them to where they won't move, so I assume I haven't stripped them.

That said....

I have to take them back off to get the bracket out. I don't have a transmission stand on hand - if I unbolt the 2 middle bolts first, then follow with the bolts holding the crossmember to the body, I should be OK right? If not, I guess I can get fancy with my hydrolic jack and just hold it in place.

Thanks for the heads up!

Usually my luck is pretty bad, but I put the crossmembers back on to hold the transmission in place while I waited for the bracket to come in. I was able to hand tighten them to where they won't move, so I assume I haven't stripped them.

That said....

I have to take them back off to get the bracket out. I don't have a transmission stand on hand - if I unbolt the 2 middle bolts first, then follow with the bolts holding the crossmember to the body, I should be OK right? If not, I guess I can get fancy with my hydrolic jack and just hold it in place.

Thanks for the heads up!
    No prob bro...You could actually unbolt all the crossmembers and the trans is still supported by the pitching stopper as well as everything else attached to it...or you could support it by the jack however I would put a block of wood or something on the jack head... Yes though the method you described is what I usually do just make sure everything is started before you start really tightening things up or else all the holes for the trans mount and the ones in the body for the front and rear crossmembers wont line up..

FYI: just passing this on, but the Subaru Maintenance Manual states to support the tranny with a hydraulic jack.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    FYI: just passing this on, but the Subaru Maintenance Manual states to support the tranny with a hydraulic jack.
    Yes well the Subaru maintenance manual also states you should disconnect the battery while replacing headlight bulbs...

Not bashing just saying there are things the maintenance manual has to state to cover there own ass...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Yes well the Subaru maintenance manual also states you should disconnect the battery while replacing headlight bulbs...

Not bashing just saying there are things the maintenance manual has to state to cover there own ass...
    I agree... I'm just sayin'....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.