Problems Need help, Actually Advice

This is a discussion on Problems Need help, Actually Advice within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so here is the deal. its a 2002 wrx 68xxx miles. 1)Recently I've been having a problem with my ...

Problems Need help, Actually Advice

Ok so here is the deal. its a 2002 wrx 68xxx miles.

1)Recently I've been having a problem with my brakes squeeling when slowing down so i decided to install new pads all around and this fixed the squealing problem. Well not untill today ( this has been about a week now) have i actually had to hit the brakes hard. I noticed the brake peddle was stiffer but today on the highway i got cut off and i slammed the brakes and it sounded like a grinding sound. I was wondering if this is just the coating on the new pads coming off or if its something i have to worry about. It just didn't feel right.

2) i took my car to a local shop and to get a tranny flush and a oil change. they put mobil 1 synthetic blend in it and some coastal 75w-90 gear oil that sounded generic and not something i wanted in my tranny. So after a month or so i decided me and a buddy were going to change the oil and fluid again with stuff thats good ( i heard mobil 1 is terrible for these cars)
    So we changed the oil and the tranny fluid and when we went to check the levels it was hard to read the oil( valvoline synthetic) but it seemed to be on the high side and when we checked the tranny fluid it was way over the full line( royal purple 75w-90) so i was wondering will this affect my car in anyway negativly for atleast the next 3k miles when i want to get them both changed again with the correct ammounts
    2002 WRX--Stage 4
    Tuned by TurboXS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea you need to get fluid out..

I only use Mobil 1 products in mine and I have never had any issues. I think a lot of it is higher mileage cars because synthetic breaks down so much smaller it can actually seep out of old tired gaskets where a standard petroleum would not.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

u dont think i can get away with it for atleast a couple thousand miles till i can take it in to get changed
    2002 WRX--Stage 4
    Tuned by TurboXS

I Support ClubWRX
    What is "it?" The gear oil? The gearbox is vented (thanks again for pointing this out to me, Trainrex, if you are reading, I still remember!).

It is very easy to overfill the gearbox.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's not hard to pull a little bit of fluid out, just pull out the plug, drain for a bit, and plug it back up. It's a bit messy, but it's better than running the tranny too full.

As for oil, this subject is debated like no other around here, and personally I think it's ****ing retarded that it's such a hot debate. I run Mobil 1 oil, have been since my 3rd oil change (around 10,000) and will continue to run it. I'm at 87k now, and I have had zero issues, and burn less than what's expected for my vehicle about now. It's a bull**** debate.

Tranny fluid wise, I run Uncle Scotty's ****tail right now, but I'm thinking I'm going to switch to Extra S due to a 4th gear notch I've had since changing to the ****tail. I'd personally recommend sticking to the Extra S.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

the only way to get extra S is to go to subaru right and have them do the tranny flush?
    2002 WRX--Stage 4
    Tuned by TurboXS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    It's not hard to pull a little bit of fluid out, just pull out the plug, drain for a bit, and plug it back up. It's a bit messy, but it's better than running the tranny too full.
    Why?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Why?
    Too much fluid can cause sloshing and foaming due to too much of the gear or more gears touching the fluid which decreases protection, much like too much engine oil can cause foaming due to rods splashing in the oil which decreases oil pressure and protection. There's a fluid level indicator for a reason
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    That's interesting.