low airflow on check engine light
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on low airflow on check engine light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yo.. i just recently bought an 03 subaru wrx. but has an engine check light.....i took it to get it ...

Unhappy low airflow on check engine light

yo..

i just recently bought an 03 subaru wrx. but has an engine check light.....i took it to get it check n it reads that i have a low airflow but i dont know how to fix it... i kind of restarted my ecu n it went off after one day but last nite i messed with the safc2 that came with the car n now my light is back how can i fix it? any suggestions?
    n how can i tell the diif between a stock wrx turbo n STI TURO?:

I ALSO TRIED RESETING MY ECU N THIS TIME IT DIDNT WORK
    Last edited by blue03wrx; 03-17-2010 at 10:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Clean your MAF for starters. Use electrical contact cleaner, or MAF specific cleaning solution; both come in a spray can. Search for a "how to" if you're unsure.

If it's a USDM '03 it's not an STi.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

ok

n should that fix the problem?

ok cause i was told by someone that my wrx had a sti turbo but im not sure.

It could fix the code; any code will have several different scenarios which could trip it. It's always helpful to post the actual code pulled, it leaves more of the guess work out of it.

A stock turbo on a 03 WRX would be a Mitsubishi TD04.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

ha

aight i made some research n ima clean my maf rite now..hopefully it solves the problem..tanx

koo i guess its stock

phh

u wouldnt happen to know how to use the safc2?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blue03wrx View Post
    u wouldnt happen to know how to use the safc2?
    Do not use that. Dead seriously. Don't let the buck fifty dissuade you because a motor costs a lot more. Also, if you are using it wrong that explains the problem in the OP. Your car already has a much more sophisticated computer - just learn how to use it.

Also, check your air filter itself and be sure to close the box back up tight with the tabs in the back engaged.

Do this instead: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Various STi turbos flow more air than the WRX TD04.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Do not use that. Dead seriously. Don't let the buck fifty dissuade you because a motor costs a lot more. Also, if you are using it wrong that explains the problem in the OP. Your car already has a much more sophisticated computer - just learn how to use it.

Also, check your air filter itself and be sure to close the box back up tight with the tabs in the back engaged.

Do this instead: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Various STi turbos flow more air than the WRX TD04.
    Werd to all of the above. Too many idiots out there don't research a damn thing they do to their cars, figuring if you can do it to other older cars with ****ty ass turbo installs, you can do it to a Subaru. Difference between your car and theirs, yours came stock with a turbo, the ECU is MADE to manage turbo dynamics, you should be using IT, not bypassing it and using some other system. Utilize what you have before you go installing something else that you end up not needing, or never should have installed in the first place.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

snaps..

aight so u guys tryna say that the safc2 is wak? cause it came with the car...

should i just take it off?

I Support ClubWRX

Yes you should take it off, and help us to figure out why it was on there so we can help you fix anything else that is wrong. Is there also a manual boost controller? Post a pics of the engine bay and zoom in on stuff like the turbo area. Also, now that we're on the same page, a reasonable effort at typing normally would help.
    Last edited by mycologist; 03-17-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

10-4 and like mycologist said, post some pics of the engine bay so that we can help you determine what's done to the car. If you have any other mods that could potentially be harmful to your car, we can give you some advice as to what to do next.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

koo

ok i will do that rite now................ok there i took it off...
    i dont think i g=have a boost controller but i will post some piks of my suby in a bit...hopefully that solves my problems..

I Support ClubWRX
    Just saw from your other thread that you were informed by the PO it has a STi turbo? You need to get this car tuned right away.

sti turbo

yeah the po told me i had a sti turbo but i cant really tell the diff.. were should i tune it at?

Also, as mentioned, take the car to Advanced Auto or whatever auto parts place is local to you and have them pull the code and post it up here. The specific code you receive will help us eliminate 80% of the issues right off the bat.

If it's P0130 (O2 Sensor Circuit (Lean)), try tightening the ground bolts that are located on your intake manifold.

Sounds crazy but after my Hybrid was built I chased this problem down with the help of S&R Performance in Tampa and Scott Siegel from Top Speed in Atlanta through logging/tuning/logging, etc... For testing purposes, we were essentially running the car pig-rich and code was still throwing lean and no one could fix it or figure out why it kept coming back.

I later found some random 6 yr old thread about a loose ground bolt and sure enough...half a turn to the right and viola...problem fixed.

Anyway, it's a long shot considering the SAFC and such, but might as well rule out the easy fixes first!!

Good luck man!!
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.