engine cuts out after starting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on engine cuts out after starting within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi ive had my 03 wrx for 4 months now and Im loving it. For the last week It has ...

engine cuts out after starting

Hi ive had my 03 wrx for 4 months now and Im loving it. For the last week It has been playing up. Some times when I start it it runs for ten seconds and then cut out It can happen up to 4 times in a row and sometimes wont start after the initial cut out.I then have to take the key out and turn it around to get it to start.Then when running The key light on the dash flashes.Has anyone got any ideas Id would apperciate the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well it sounds like a dirty air filter. Especially if you have an after market cold air intake. Check your MAF.

Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Well it sounds like a dirty air filter. Especially if you have an after market cold air intake. Check your MAF.

Chris
    what??

Sounds like a security issue on the factory alarm. Are the 07 keys 'transponded'?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Any car will idle rough or die when u start it with a dirty intake, this is a very common problem. Ive had a couple vehicles to this. My buddys 95 cobra wouldnt idle unless he revved it, or had been driving it. It could be many things, its an easy fix if its a filter though.
    Chris

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pete22 View Post
    Some times when I start it it runs for ten seconds and then cut out It can happen up to 4 times in a row and sometimes wont start after the initial cut out.I then have to take the key out and turn it around to get it to start.Then when running The key light on the dash flashes.Has anyone got any ideas Id would appreciate the help.
    Any car will idle rough or die when u start it with a dirty intake, this is a very common problem. Ive had a couple vehicles to this. My buddys 95 cobra wouldnt idle unless he revved it, or had been driving it. It could be many things, its an easy fix if its a filter though.
    I understand a dirty intake (more exactly, a dirty maf or clogged filter) will cause very similar symptoms, but they wouldn't flash the security light. At least, not that I am even remotely aware of. I know early transponder GMs and such, when installing remote starts, if the transponder key was not programmed properly, or the likes, they would act in a similar fashion.

Again, I do not know if the newer Subarus are transponder-equipped or not, so this may be irrelevant information.
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    I understand a dirty intake (more exactly, a dirty maf or clogged filter) will cause very similar symptoms, but they wouldn't flash the security light. At least, not that I am even remotely aware of. I know early transponder GMs and such, when installing remote starts, if the transponder key was not programmed properly, or the likes, they would act in a similar fashion.

Again, I do not know if the newer Subarus are transponder-equipped or not, so this may be irrelevant information.
    Ahh i see what your sayin. I didnt even realize my 02 had a key signal? Guess its cuz its never been on before. If its not the 2 things mentioned above then im not sure.
    Chris

I Support ClubWRX
    Ahh i see what your sayin. I didnt even realize my 02 had a key signal? Guess its cuz its never been on before. If its not the 2 things mentioned above then im not sure.
    IIRC, the '02 has the word "security", but it's been a couple yrs since I've had it.

The newer ones may have changed to the 'key picture', and possibly use a transponder key, whereas out bugeyes used a standard key.
    Rogan o_0

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    +06 WRXs are equipped with immobilizers. The OP's '03 was not.

Maybe he has a really bad intake leak?

I Support ClubWRX
    for some damned reason, i thought it was an 07.. LOL

nevermind, then. LOL
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    +06 WRXs are equipped with immobilizers. The OP's '03 was not.

Maybe he has a really bad intake leak?
    Thats what i was trying get at, i didnt want to give info without being sure it was correct. Check all aspects of the intake and let us know what happens.
    Chris

If a car starts then doesn't run, I always think fuel problem. Your bugeye definitely has a fuel filter that requires replacement. Could be something (cheap) to look at...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Hey guys Its not a bug eye its a late 03 same as o4 Im going to have a look at the maf but doubt it is that because that wouldnt make the key light flash.Ill let you no how I go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you in the US? I dont remember an immobilizer type light on my 05s..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Nah im in australia. The light is the shape of a key and is meant to flash while ignition is off. The car has been starting fine but the light is still flashing.Tried cleaning the maf didnt help.How long should I leave the battery disconnected to reset the ecu

It won't take long, maybe a minute or two (if that). Pressing on the brake pedal will drain the residual power in the system, speeding it up further.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast