Blown engine 05 wrx

This is a discussion on Blown engine 05 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought my first subaru on this past satuday from a lexus dealer, i am going to use it ...

Blown engine 05 wrx

So I bought my first subaru on this past satuday from a lexus dealer, i am going to use it as a dd to keep the miles off of my g8 gt. Car is 05 wrx with 70k on it. Car is bone stock, i refered to your car buying pages to insure i bought a stock one. Felt great on the test drive, all around its a nice car in great shape. The dealer was 70 miles from my house, on the way home i downshifted from 5th to 4th on the off ramp of the highway and i could hear all kinds of noieses. Motor blew on my way home from buying it and it was 30 mins after the dealers closed for the day. Rented a uhaul trailer and droped it back off at the dealership sunday morning. Talked to them today and they are taking it to a subaru dealer to have it looked at. Its supposed to have a 30 day warranty and it broke in my first hour owning it. Should i have them buy it back or have them put a remanned motor in it?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry that happend!

Man, that must have sucked! I have never heard of them doing that, i think you should get a brand new motor for it, it would be like having a new car! Plus you might even get a warranty for it. I am not sure how much you paid for it but, i think it is the best value for the money, if you it for under 20k. I hope everything works out for you!
    STIzzy!

I picked it up for just over $11k. I was thinking the same thing, any remanned motor should have a warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    New long block and free install.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

They said it spun a bearing. Dealer is replacing the oil pump, machining the crank, replacing bearings, and flushing the engine, if this doesnt correct the problem they will do a long block. They also said it calls for synthetic oil, they will be putting that in.

Any comments on this? Does this sound satisfactory?

Don"t let the dealer put a band-aid on your problem. Demand a long block right off. price wise to the dealer its the same, the work the are purposing vrs. just putting in new long block. they just want you to come back when more stuff breaks. long block and be done with it.
    One industrial accident away from financial freedom!

Blobeye Syndicate #215

Quote Originally Posted by Dos-fivewagon View Post
    Don"t let the dealer put a band-aid on your problem. Demand a long block right off. price wise to the dealer its the same, the work the are purposing vrs. just putting in new long block. they just want you to come back when more stuff breaks. long block and be done with it.
    HAHA! Hell yeah i agree with Five wagon, DEMAND A LONG BLOCK!
    STIzzy!

I talked to the dealer today and they said they will decide tomorrow what to do with the car. Either put just bearings in, or a used engine it sounds like. I told them I am not happy with either of those options and that I want a remaned long block or my money back. I am pretty upset for many reasons at this point but one thing that really irks me is that they told me they would take it to a subaru dealer and they haven't, lexus techs are working on it. It sounds like I will be getting my money back. Then they will fix it as cheap as possible and re-sell it to some unsuspecting poor soul.

That sucks the dealer is jerking you around. IMOP get your money back, and go get a subie somewhere else. don't let this experience ruin you on subies. still a damn good car.

Blobeye Syndicate #215

Quote Originally Posted by Dos-fivewagon View Post
    That sucks the dealer is jerking you around. IMOP get your money back, and go get a subie somewhere else. don't let this experience ruin you on subies. still a damn good car.
    I agree, that just sucks. If it were me I would just get my money back and find another that you wont have to worry about it breaking everytime you get on it. Hope it works out how you want it to!
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

ok, the latest is that they are putting a remaned engine in it and will warranty the powertrain till 100,000 miles which is about 26k from now. So needless to say i am pretty happy with that. I am going to take them a new clutch kit tomorrow to install when they have it apart.

Thats better than a band-aid. I hope you didn't get too aggressive with clutch kit. Unless you have really high horsepower in a subie, it's a good idea to have the clutch be the weak link. Way cheaper than a trans. I have a 291whp d.d. 5sp with an Exedy stg. 1 and it does more than adequate. just my .02

Blobeye Syndicate #215

The only mods planned for this will be a uppipe so i went with a oe type replacement. Thanks for the input

well good luck and enjoy your subie once you get it back.

Blobeye Syndicate #215