Loud clanking noise when turning at very slow speeds
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Loud clanking noise when turning at very slow speeds within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Guys, I've been getting a fairly loud clanking noise from underneath my car when I am turning at really ...

I Support ClubWRX

Loud clanking noise when turning at very slow speeds

Hi Guys,

I've been getting a fairly loud clanking noise from underneath my car when I am turning at really slow speeds. The noise is becoming more apparent now and is generally the most noticeable when I pull in and out of parking spaces.

Originally I thought it might have been my exhaust since I was using stock exhaust hangers after my aftermarket ones cracked over time. However, after installing the new exhaust hangers the problem didn't go away. Have you guys had similar experiences? My car has just over 90,000 miles.
    Tim
    Admin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You need some new genuine remanufactured axles. Weird that your tech didn't notice that when they did
    your 90k

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a CV joint to me. Check your axles, I'm willing to bet that you have a torn boot somewhere with grease flying every-which-way.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks guys i'll have it checked out and I"ll report back to you guys.
    Tim
    Admin

I Support ClubWRX
    One mechanic took a ride in my car today and said its not the cv joint but the strut mount. Can I get some feedback on this?

If this is the case I might replace my struts and strut mount at the same time. I've been on my stock suspension for more than 80k miles. Perhaps the KYB GR-2 setup will + the KYB strut mounts will get rid of the problem.
    Tim
    Admin

I'll put my money on your end links being the true problem unless your struts are going too. I changed my struts as they were worn at 110K and then about 3K later my clunk started to come back the harder I pushed the car until the sound came all the way back and I found out my front end links were bad. Best of luck, let me know what you find out.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

This happened with my STI and it was my strut mounts, happened again to the opposite side a few months later.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Registered User nickolasjamison's Avatar
    I hear this in my car sometimes. I don't hear it a lot, yet. It happens when i go right at slow speeds.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.