Uppipe Tips

This is a discussion on Uppipe Tips within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a TurboXS uppipe on the way. I've never installed one but I've seen some pretty helpful how-to's ...

Uppipe Tips

So I have a TurboXS uppipe on the way. I've never installed one but I've seen some pretty helpful how-to's and I think me and a couple buddies can tackle it. Any tips on to make the installation easiar and quicker?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've done a few uppipe installs, so here's my advice ...

If none of you have done an uppipe install, plan on an afternoon install (that could go into the evening).

Beer (and plenty of it). Figure 6-8 beers/each for a moderate drinker (more if you guys can chug them down). This may slow down the install process, but it's worth it. Also, make sure you have enough food in the house to feed your friends, or be prepared to order a pizza or something. These two are the most important parts of the install.

Get new hardware (bolts, nuts, studs) ahead of time just in case - even if you don't end up using them, it's relatively inexpensive as a "just in case". Get a bolt to plug the EGT bung (the EGT is placed there to monitor cat healthiness, and since you don't have one anymore, you shouldn't reinstall it), and a resistor for the "EGT fix" as well.

Replace all gaskets. The minimum gaskets you'll need are uppipe/manifold, uppipe/turbo, turbo/downpipe. If you've got a 3" flat-flange downpipe/catback gasket and aren't going to drop the whole TBE, pick another one of those up as well. Depending on your install approach, you may need exhaust manifold gaskets as well (determine this by what install directions you decide to follow).

Make sure you have Internet access handy. Print instructions beforehand, but being able to find a second (or third) set may prove useful.

The older your vehicle is, the more important something like PB Blaster will be. Spray all nuts/bolts liberally before even attempting to break them free. After spraying the bolts, it's a perfect time to drink a beer or two and BS while you let it "sink in".

Lastly, have fun with it. You'll end up with busted fingers/knuckles, and use plenty of expletives, but in the end, you'll be proud of yourself that you were able to complete a relatively DIY mod.
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I've done a few uppipe installs, so here's my advice ...

If none of you have done an uppipe install, plan on an afternoon install (that could go into the evening).

Beer (and plenty of it). Figure 6-8 beers/each for a moderate drinker (more if you guys can chug them down). This may slow down the install process, but it's worth it. Also, make sure you have enough food in the house to feed your friends, or be prepared to order a pizza or something. These two are the most important parts of the install.

Get new hardware (bolts, nuts, studs) ahead of time just in case - even if you don't end up using them, it's relatively inexpensive as a "just in case". Get a bolt to plug the EGT bung (the EGT is placed there to monitor cat healthiness, and since you don't have one anymore, you shouldn't reinstall it), and a resistor for the "EGT fix" as well.

Replace all gaskets. The minimum gaskets you'll need are uppipe/manifold, uppipe/turbo, turbo/downpipe. If you've got a 3" flat-flange downpipe/catback gasket and aren't going to drop the whole TBE, pick another one of those up as well. Depending on your install approach, you may need exhaust manifold gaskets as well (determine this by what install directions you decide to follow).

Make sure you have Internet access handy. Print instructions beforehand, but being able to find a second (or third) set may prove useful.

The older your vehicle is, the more important something like PB Blaster will be. Spray all nuts/bolts liberally before even attempting to break them free. After spraying the bolts, it's a perfect time to drink a beer or two and BS while you let it "sink in".

Lastly, have fun with it. You'll end up with busted fingers/knuckles, and use plenty of expletives, but in the end, you'll be proud of yourself that you were able to complete a relatively DIY mod.
    The turboxs comes with all new studs and I have the gaskets ordered with the exception of the ex manifold which I'm hoping I won't need. How long did it take you?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniteboost
    The turboxs comes with all new studs and I have the gaskets ordered with the exception of the ex manifold which I'm hoping I won't need. How long did it take you?
    It varies depending on the age of the car (how difficult it is to remove the nuts/bolts) and how much beer we had. An uppipe install is usually a few hours. I think my best time is 2 hours.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteboost View Post

Do you have use of air tools or a lift? With these two things I've gotten joint pipes done in around an hour-hour and a half.....

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Do you have use of air tools or a lift? With these two things I've gotten joint pipes done in around an hour-hour and a half.....
    I have air tools but no lift. I plan on putting the front on some ramps and the rear on jack stands.

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteboost View Post
    I have air tools but no lift. I plan on putting the front on some ramps and the rear on jack stands.

Should quicken things up a bit...as mentioned though make sure to soak all bolts/nuts with PB blaster or Deep Creep or something...