o2 sensor
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on o2 sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Check engine light came on, scanned it and its saying that an o2 sensor is bad. Now ive heard before ...

o2 sensor

Check engine light came on, scanned it and its saying that an o2 sensor is bad. Now ive heard before on other vehicles that its good to change both of them at the same time and i was wandering if this is true with subaru's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by srh*wrx View Post
    Check engine light came on, scanned it and its saying that an o2 sensor is bad. Now ive heard before on other vehicles that its good to change both of them at the same time and i was wandering if this is true with subaru's?

Only change the one that is bad ( from what I see its usually the front o2 /A/F sensor )....if your sure its bad that is..What was the code? If the other one goes there both easy enough to replace...The only time I would say otherwise is if something like the vehicle blew a HG and was burning excessive amounts of coolant or something...than I might be inclined to change both of them fore obviously coolant fouls the sensor...

did you recently replace the stock exhaust with a catback where the O2 sensor is in direct exhaust air flow? if so, go buy a 2 pack of spark plug antifowlers, put them together and put them into the exhaust where the O2 sensor goes and then thread the O2 sensor into them- CEL goes away every time

Registered User 2005_silver_wrx's Avatar
    hi there im also having trouble with my o2 sensor umm how do i know which one is bringing this code up? And also i was looking at a universal oxygen sensor simulator, would that be the way to go?? and if i do get that universal oxygen sensor simulator do i having to get a new 02 sensor or does that do the job as a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_silver_wrx View Post
    hi there im also having trouble with my o2 sensor umm how do i know which one is bringing this code up? And also i was looking at a universal oxygen sensor simulator, would that be the way to go?? and if i do get that universal oxygen sensor simulator do i having to get a new 02 sensor or does that do the job as a replacement?

It all depends one the code...in the code definition it should say bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 1 sensor 2......

ok so bank 1 sensor 1 is front and bank 1 sensor 2 is back im guessing?

On these cars yes...

ok thanks, oh and also i dont wanna bug too much but would a o2 sensor simulator be a good buy because im guessing that if i just put another o2 sensor im just gonna screw it up again by not having a stock exhaust right?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No to the simulator.

The front O2 is in the manifold, not affected by your exhaust mods. They have service life ~100,000 miles.

If you are talking about the rear one, that is different.
    Last edited by mycologist; 03-14-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

ya i have a feeling its the rear one which i will check before removing, ive done a bit of research and i read that if your running a performance exhaust or headers 99.9% of the time its the rear o2 sensor that goes bad but my question which im kind of confused is, if i do change the o2 sensor and leave my cat back exhaust on isnt it gonna screw up on me again? and if so is there a fix for it?

I Support ClubWRX
    ya i have a feeling its the rear one which i will check before removing, ive done a bit of research and i read that if your running a performance exhaust or headers 99.9% of the time its the rear o2 sensor that goes bad but my question which im kind of confused is, if i do change the o2 sensor and leave my cat back exhaust on isnt it gonna screw up on me again? and if so is there a fix for it?
    The rear sensor doesn't go bad because of the exhaust. It has to do with removing the catalytic convertor in front of it and changing the flow volume. Getting Engine Management will easily fix this by changing the threshold values. Read this,then buy performance parts................

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-15-2010 at 05:39 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

engine management or go to your local auto parts store, buy a 2 pack of spark plug antifowlers put them together and then thread them into your exhaust- then thread the O2 sensor into them. removing the sensoe from direct flow will get rid of the CEL. total cost for antifowlers 5.95- bring your old O2 sensor to match thread size
    TEAM AUTOBOTS

i might try them antifowlers then, never heard of them before but if it does the trick for that price then why not, thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.