Are both radiator fans supposed to work at the same time?

This is a discussion on Are both radiator fans supposed to work at the same time? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It may sound like a funny question, but some of the cars I have use one fan for when the ...

Are both radiator fans supposed to work at the same time?

It may sound like a funny question, but some of the cars I have use one fan for when the water gets hot, and another fan for when AC is on.

Onto my point. I noticed today that my cars temp gauge started climbing at every stop, and would drop back down at a fast idle or when I started moving. Naturally I looked to see if the fans were working. One of them is, and one of them is not. Obviously if the car is designed for two fans to run at once, then it's not getting enough airflow at standstill and that causes my car to overheat. But if it is supposed to be that way, that means it's something else.
    Matt
    2003 Silver Pontiac Vibe (sold)
    1990 Red Miata on Megasquirt3, soon to be getting the stock turbo off the WRX
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)
    1986 Chevy K20, 350 4x4 on Megasquirt. Brings the car home when it breaks.

Future cars? Too many to list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They work separately, unless the car is hot, then they both come on.
    Does the A/C fan even work? Turn on the A/C to see if it does come on.

I Support ClubWRX
    A fan failure should generate a CEL.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A fan failure should generate a CEL.

+1 ^ Usually a cooling fan rationality check code...

I'm pretty sure my AC doesn't actually work now. I just got the car and it's the dead of winter so I haven't had an opportunity to check yet, probably should have before I got the car. The engine doesn't react at all when I hit the button and the air does not get cold. But that's beside the point right now.

I found out what was causing the overheat. Took a peak in my pressure reservoir and it was way down. Interesting, considering I just fixed a coolant leak and topped it off not even a week ago. It didn't even go down this quick WITH the leak.
    Matt
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)

I guess I'll do a pressure test and see what happens before anything else.
    Matt

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MWatson17 View Post
    I'm pretty sure my AC doesn't actually work now. I just got the car and it's the dead of winter so I haven't had an opportunity to check yet, probably should have before I got the car. The engine doesn't react at all when I hit the button and the air does not get cold. But that's beside the point right now.

I found out what was causing the overheat. Took a peak in my pressure reservoir and it was way down. Interesting, considering I just fixed a coolant leak and topped it off not even a week ago. It didn't even go down this quick WITH the leak.
    This sounds like you did not burp the system successfully. Try burping again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just did. I guess we'll see in a week or so if that's the problem.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson17 View Post

Sometimes low fluid will also throw an ECT code..

Along the same lines of the original post; do the fans simply alternate duty back/forth, or is there more logic to it than that?

This is my first vehicle with electric fans, and I'm amazed by how much air they move. Electric fans are a very popular mod among the Toyota off road crowd. The ability to turn your fans off for water crossings is very nice.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    Along the same lines of the original post; do the fans simply alternate duty back/forth, or is there more logic to it than that?

This is my first vehicle with electric fans, and I'm amazed by how much air they move. Electric fans are a very popular mod among the Toyota off road crowd. The ability to turn your fans off for water crossings is very nice.
    Pretty basic logic if you ask me..Ive never really disected it..however as you know when the temp increases so the ECT sends a signal to the PCM and boom the fans come on....Of course there are also other little logic "cutons" if you will...such as the AC being swithced on and off and the PDI connectors being plugged in....