03 RS making a rubbing noise after brake/rotor replacement
Results 1 to 7 of 7

This is a discussion on 03 RS making a rubbing noise after brake/rotor replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just replaced both my rear rotors and brake pads on my 03 Impreza RS. I replaced them because I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5

    03 RS making a rubbing noise after brake/rotor replacement

    I just replaced both my rear rotors and brake pads on my 03 Impreza RS. I replaced them because I was having a loud high pitched noise coming from the right rear wheel which I believe was caused by the rotor and brake pads being in bad shape, and this seems to have solved the whining problem. The weird thing was that I replaced my brakes about 2 years ago and they only had around 15,000 miles on them, the left side pads weren't too bad, they had maybe 50% life still, but the outside right rear pad was really worn down.

    When I finished installing everything I went for a drive and immediately I noticed a scraping or rubbing sound coming from the rear end (it just sounds like the brake pads are scraping when I not touch the pedal). The sound goes away when you speed up and after driving for 20 minutes or so the sound no longer happens when driving straight and slow only when going slow and turning. The noise goes away completely when I press the brake pedal. So my question is, could this just be that the brakes need to wear in or maybe grind down a little bit to stop rubbing? A mechanic told me that if my caliper was bad and causing excessive dragging then my rim should be hot after 10 minutes or so of driving but the wheel wasn't hot. This noise was not happening before I did the brakes so I'm assuming it has to be the brakes dragging. Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    How many miles are on the vehicle? Sometimes new brakes do make some odd sounds while wearing them in (commonly referred to as a burnish procedure) ...Do you hear this noise only while making turns like a rubbing? I would pull the rear rotors off and im taking a shot from the hip here..the backing plate has rust build up behind it and has pushed the plate out far enough to contact the lip on the inside of the rotor...As I said shot from the hip but this is the most common rear brake related noise on Subarus besides obviously the pads wearing down metal to metal...

  4. #3
    Registered User cjm1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    1,040
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    How many miles are on the vehicle? Sometimes new brakes do make some odd sounds while wearing them in (commonly referred to as a burnish procedure) ...Do you hear this noise only while making turns like a rubbing? I would pull the rear rotors off and im taking a shot from the hip here..the backing plate has rust build up behind it and has pushed the plate out far enough to contact the lip on the inside of the rotor...As I said shot from the hip but this is the most common rear brake related noise on Subarus besides obviously the pads wearing down metal to metal...
    Ive had this problem on my 02 ever sense i changed the pads and rotors. I had a brake service take them all apart, and knock all the rust off and its still just as loud. Im on original shocks and struts with 149k miles, but i have new spacers, top hats, bushings, swift spec springs, and tokico struts on the way. But if the problem persists after i swapped all that what could it be? thanks and sorry not tryin to thread steal.

    Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

  5. #4
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    P

    Ive had this problem on my 02 ever sense i changed the pads and rotors. I had a brake service take them all apart, and knock all the rust off and its still just as loud. Im on original shocks and struts with 149k miles, but i have new spacers, top hats, bushings, swift spec springs, and tokico struts on the way. But if the problem persists after i swapped all that what could it be? thanks and sorry not tryin to thread steal.

    Chris
    Ever since you changed the pads and rotors....That says it..Subarus are somewhat touchy with aftermarket brakes also so perhaps your just hearing normal pad to rotor contact or perhaps the pads are moving around in the bracket a tad... Are these dealer OEM replacement pads and rotors?

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    How many miles are on the vehicle? Sometimes new brakes do make some odd sounds while wearing them in (commonly referred to as a burnish procedure) ...Do you hear this noise only while making turns like a rubbing? I would pull the rear rotors off and im taking a shot from the hip here..the backing plate has rust build up behind it and has pushed the plate out far enough to contact the lip on the inside of the rotor...As I said shot from the hip but this is the most common rear brake related noise on Subarus besides obviously the pads wearing down metal to metal...
    My car has 78,000 miles on it. Maybe I will take the rotor back off next week if the sound hasn't gone away by then, but I know there wasn't a build up of rust on the backing plate when I put the rotor on.

  7. #6
    Registered User benson156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    331
    Agressive pads over stock pads? You may get more noise over OE with more agressive pads.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

  8. #7
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by derek800 View Post
    My car has 78,000 miles on it. Maybe I will take the rotor back off next week if the sound hasn't gone away by then, but I know there wasn't a build up of rust on the backing plate when I put the rotor on.
    Yea its sometimes deceptive..rust builds up behind the backing plate and pushes it out far enough to contact the lip on the rotor...I cant hear the noise the your hearing so I'm going from what Ive seen and the information you have provided.. This is where I would start.....if you get the chance take if your out today or whatever make some quick sharp turns and see if you hear a sort of grinding noise coming from back there..at your own risk of course...lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •