Tune Up Costs, What Should They Be?

This is a discussion on Tune Up Costs, What Should They Be? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The last time I checked with my Subaru dealer they wanted around 00 for the tune-up for 30,000 miles. I'm ...

Banned

Tune Up Costs, What Should They Be?

The last time I checked with my Subaru dealer they wanted around $1200 for the tune-up for 30,000 miles. I'm almost at 40,000 and still haven't had a single tune-up. One of my friends used to be a mechanic and said $1200 was steep, all it needs is some new plugs, wires, etc but not $1200 worth of stuff.

None of my past cars have been that much to get tune-ups, and I admit to even having them done at Pep Boys from time to time. This one's an 08 WRX so I'm staying away from Pep Boys, but would a local shop make a better choice for a tune-up?

P.S. I had my brakes done at a small garage and I had the guy hook it up to the computer a few months back and he said it was fine, didn't need a tune-up. I just hate to have to save up that kind of cash for something I might not need. I'm not exactly well-to-do with money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    At 30,000 miles you need (according to the factory schedule):

Coolant flush/replacement
    Air Filter
    Spark Plugs
    Brake Fluid Replacement
    and just check on everything else. Lines, diff fluid, all fluid levels.

That could be done in a garage in less than an afternoon and for less than a 1/4 of what they want to charge you. The spark plugs are probably the most expensive part of all of that, in fact.

Some basic tools and a buddy who has some mechanical knowledge can save you a lot of money here.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Banned
    I always do my own air filter. That takes like 5 minutes, although I do wish manufacturers wouldn't make the covers so annoying to get off.

It's like the headlights, there's another easy fix, and actually surprisingly easy do do, unlike the Eclipses I had.

I have changed my own oil on other cars, but at the end of all the labor, the cost savings just isn't worth it to me.

Plugs and the other stuff I could have a shop do. Thanks

---Hey speaking of fluids, synthetic or not? I have used both since a few forums and a few mechanics told me it's a gimmick, but the most recent shop said a turbo is supposed to use synthetic.