Tune Up Costs, What Should They Be?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tune Up Costs, What Should They Be? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The last time I checked with my Subaru dealer they wanted around 00 for the tune-up for 30,000 miles. I'm ...

Banned

Tune Up Costs, What Should They Be?

The last time I checked with my Subaru dealer they wanted around $1200 for the tune-up for 30,000 miles. I'm almost at 40,000 and still haven't had a single tune-up. One of my friends used to be a mechanic and said $1200 was steep, all it needs is some new plugs, wires, etc but not $1200 worth of stuff.

None of my past cars have been that much to get tune-ups, and I admit to even having them done at Pep Boys from time to time. This one's an 08 WRX so I'm staying away from Pep Boys, but would a local shop make a better choice for a tune-up?

P.S. I had my brakes done at a small garage and I had the guy hook it up to the computer a few months back and he said it was fine, didn't need a tune-up. I just hate to have to save up that kind of cash for something I might not need. I'm not exactly well-to-do with money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    At 30,000 miles you need (according to the factory schedule):

Coolant flush/replacement
    Air Filter
    Spark Plugs
    Brake Fluid Replacement
    and just check on everything else. Lines, diff fluid, all fluid levels.

That could be done in a garage in less than an afternoon and for less than a 1/4 of what they want to charge you. The spark plugs are probably the most expensive part of all of that, in fact.

Some basic tools and a buddy who has some mechanical knowledge can save you a lot of money here.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Banned
    I always do my own air filter. That takes like 5 minutes, although I do wish manufacturers wouldn't make the covers so annoying to get off.

It's like the headlights, there's another easy fix, and actually surprisingly easy do do, unlike the Eclipses I had.

I have changed my own oil on other cars, but at the end of all the labor, the cost savings just isn't worth it to me.

Plugs and the other stuff I could have a shop do. Thanks

---Hey speaking of fluids, synthetic or not? I have used both since a few forums and a few mechanics told me it's a gimmick, but the most recent shop said a turbo is supposed to use synthetic.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.