2009 WRX possible turbo problems?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX possible turbo problems? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have an 09 WRX, Perrin intake stage 1, I noticed the other day a small squeaking sound coming ...

2009 WRX possible turbo problems?

So I have an 09 WRX, Perrin intake stage 1, I noticed the other day a small squeaking sound coming from what I believe is my turbo. Car runs, drives and operates just fine but when at idle the car just goes, squeak...... squeak...... squeak as the engine is turning over.

Any ideas?

Possible bearing problem?

The car has 38000kms and is driven but never abused. The temperature here is -8c. I did have a small issue the other day where one of my intercooler bolts had undone itself and was finger tight. I tightened it back up and the car seems ok.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the accessory belts OK? Is there a heat shield or something else loose?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Are the accessory belts OK? Is there a heat shield or something else loose?
    Il run out and have a quick check now
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

typically now I start the car and no noise. It has been sat for about 20 minutes after a good drive. Hmm very strange. Il try and check everything if it starts happening again.

I think maybe im just not use to the sound of the boxer engine? Its my first Subaru and I could be paranoid!

I Support ClubWRX
    The motor does sound terrible, especially up close. A squeak like you described though is more likely an accessory belt or pulley, especially at -8C, than a turbo with less than 50K km on the clock IMO. Low temperatures do strange things to cars because not all component contract and then expand at the same rate or to the same extent, so I'm hoping it's something simple.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    does the sound only manifest itself when the turbo spools or do you hear it when it idles? My 03 has always had a little piston slap, so it may be piston slap if it's more of a flutter sound under low load
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

its only at idle that I notice the sound, it did it again when I got home. It could be a squeak / tick, its not a noise im used to hearing.

What is piston slap exactly???

Im thinking if its turbo related it would affect the cars performance and it drives just fine.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What is Piston Slap

It's NOT the turbo if you only hear the sound under vacuum (little or no turbo spool). Plus, if it were the turbo, you'd know

I'm no mechanic, but I would say take the car to your dealer and have them check your belts. She is way to young to be having total mechanical failures
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So after some listening around the car the noise is coming from underneath! So we had the car on a hoist and it's the clutch, when I depress the pedal ever so slightly the sound goes away. Could the squeaking be the clutch release bearing? If so does this small squeak mean a big problem ahead????

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    So after some listening around the car the noise is coming from underneath! So we had the car on a hoist and it's the clutch, when I depress the pedal ever so slightly the sound goes away. Could the squeaking be the clutch release bearing? If so does this small squeak mean a big problem ahead????
    The pedal throw needs adjusted. There's a screw on the stop above the pedal. Loosen that screw so that it's further out.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I took it to the dealer and they agree its the clutch release bearing. Not sure what can be done about it though. Is this under warranty??

Im not sure why it would be squeaking even if it is just the throw on the pedal?

I took it to the dealer and they agree its the clutch release bearing. Not sure what can be done about it though. Is this under warranty??

Im not sure why it would be squeaking even if it is just the throw on the pedal?
    i had a similar problem the squenak. they first said it was my throw out bearing then the slave clyinder then they replaced the entire clutch system. including the clutch and break peddle. there was still a squeak after all of that.... turned out to be a crack in the firewall.

i took over 3 months for everything to get resolved had to meet with a SOA rep. huge hastle all they gave me was a free 15000 mile service

Quote Originally Posted by 09whiterex View Post
    i had a similar problem the squenak. they first said it was my throw out bearing then the slave clyinder then they replaced the entire clutch system. including the clutch and break peddle. there was still a squeak after all of that.... turned out to be a crack in the firewall.

i took over 3 months for everything to get resolved had to meet with a SOA rep. huge hastle all they gave me was a free 15000 mile service
    I have heard of this crack in the firewall issue, I thought that was only causing a squeak when the pedal is pushed though?

Mine really sounds like a bearing

I have heard of this crack in the firewall issue, I thought that was only causing a squeak when the pedal is pushed though?

Mine really sounds like a bearing
    correct only when the pedal is pushed i thought your problem was when the pedal was being engaged

Took the car to the dealer today and they couldnt hear the noise. Its still there though, next time Im driving past il ensure i get under the hoist with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast