Noises coming from my 03 Impreza RS

This is a discussion on Noises coming from my 03 Impreza RS within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have a few questions about some recent problems with my car. If anyone could help me out it ...

Noises coming from my 03 Impreza RS

Hello, I have a few questions about some recent problems with my car. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Like the title says, I own a 03 Impreza RS with 78,000 miles on it. I have been hearing a high pitched whine coming from the rear passenger wheel, now this noise does not start immediately, it usually only starts after about 15 minutes or so of driving or if I'm driving on the expressway for a few minutes. About 2 years ago I had a the wheel bearing replaced from that same wheel because it was making noise. The weird thing is that the noise goes away when you apply the brakes and comes back when you let off the brakes, also if you stop somewhere for a few minutes the noise generally will not start up again when I start driving. I was wondering if it was possibly the wheel bearing again, but I hoisted up the car earlier today to try to wiggle the wheel and it doesn't budge like it should if the bearing was going bad.

One other noise I recently noticed is there is a clicking coming from the front passenger side wheel. It does not click everytime I drive but it does most of the time. The clicking speeds up and slows down with acceleration. It seems like it could be a CV joint from doing some research but if anyone has any idea of what either of these problems could be I would definitely appreciate and help or advice. If this is something I could fix on my own I would definitely attempt to fix it to save money because I have done some of my own car maintenance in the past.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How did you replace the bearring last time? Sometimes when you just replace the bearring and not the assembly it doesnt get greased good enough and sometimes places just plain use cheap stuff.

Your front end noise seems like an axle issue but is it more when turning?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I had the bearing replaced by a reputable mechanic that my company sends all of their trucks to. They did not replace the hub because they said that it was in good shape. I'm just not sure if it's the bearing because it seems to me if it was a bearing the noise would not completely stop when the brakes are applied. Also when I hoisted that wheel today to try to feel for some wiggling or play in the wheel there was absolutely no movement. When my wheel bearing was bad last time I know the noise was constant and didn't go away when with the brakes being applied.

As far as the clicking noise coming from the front passenger wheel, the clicking noise is constant and only increases/decreases with acceleration. Turning does not affect it all all.