Loud Clacking Noise

This is a discussion on Loud Clacking Noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey whatsup you guys, names Scott from Miami FL brand new to the site and also to my stock 02 ...

Loud Clacking Noise

hey whatsup you guys, names Scott from Miami FL brand new to the site and also to my stock 02 wrx. i jus got it in december with 94k miles already had a couple minor problems with it already, had to replace the mass air flow sensor and some parts in the linkage. when i got it the linkage had no bushing so the shifter was goin everywhere which makes me believe that the previous owner abused the engine?..thats besides the point the other day i was driving away from a light and i noticed that im not acclerating as fast so i turn down the music and i hear a loud clacking noise, i pull over, i look under the car and the motor/tranny was shaking couldn't tell which one..and as i have the clutch pushed in the motor shuts off... any one know what it could be? possibly a main bearing? and anyone know someone in the area who could help it out on this prob? would really appreciate it. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

try revving it out of gear and see if the clacking happens at a certain rpm. If it does, its probably your motor starting to go. It could also be an exhaust rattle?
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

i took it to m friends shop he said it's the crank or the bearings.. worse case scenario i need a new block. you guys think an sti block fit?

First obviously make 100% sure thats the problem...Yes an STI block will fit....do a search on here for :hybrid swaps/builds" which is generally a EJ25 block with the EJ20 heads... TONS of info on here and NASIOC about this...

hey you guys i found this ad on craigslist. he said the engine block is still good. i have no clue how much a used engine block would go for. any suggestions on how much i should offer him to get a good deal?

south florida all for sale / wanted classifieds "wrx" - craigslist