02 wrx fuel leak, exteneded warranty to fix issue

This is a discussion on 02 wrx fuel leak, exteneded warranty to fix issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a letter in the mail from subaru for 02-03 wrx with fuel leak during cold startup. It ...

02 wrx fuel leak, exteneded warranty to fix issue

I just got a letter in the mail from subaru for 02-03 wrx with fuel leak during cold startup. It states that they extending the warranty coverage period on the engine fuel delivery line to 12 yrs/unlimited mileage. And if u have already paid for such repairs, they will reimburse u.

How F'n awesome is this... Anyone get a similar letter?
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. 12 years. That's usually how long I keep cars lately, so this is good news and a good move by SOA.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think I'll have them install my 'pinks' also. Def gonna save on labor since the intake mani has to come off...
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

I recieved the same letter and I must say I was quite surprised. At the same time I'm a bit leery of letting someone else touch my car.

I got my letter as well. I also am not too confident in taking my car to the dealer. Has anyone taken their car to a smaller shop and had it fixed with SOA's help?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I got my letter as well. I also am not too confident in taking my car to the dealer. Has anyone taken their car to a smaller shop and had it fixed with SOA's help?
    Not to pat my own back here and I do realize this might sound somewhat arrogant however I have done quite a few of these fuel pipe recalls under the intake manifold...I personally am very cautious when I do this fore if you mess one thing up the car could turn out worse than when it came in....I take pride in my work....like i mentioned i know it sounds a little arrogant...I can also say we do have techs who manage to mess things up pretty badly when doing these recalls (one long story short this one tech had a comeback on 4 different occassions due to an EVAP leak all because of doing the fuel pipe recall)...so pretty much anywhere you go they will have competant techs and those who just "dont care" for lack of a better word..However I can say shops usually wont give those jobs to the inexperienced...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Not to pat my own back here and I do realize this might sound somewhat arrogant however I have done quite a few of these fuel pipe recalls under the intake manifold...I personally am very cautious when I do this fore if you mess one thing up the car could turn out worse than when it came in....I take pride in my work....like i mentioned i know it sounds a little arrogant...I can also say we do have techs who manage to mess things up pretty badly when doing these recalls (one long story short this one tech had a comeback on 4 different occassions due to an EVAP leak all because of doing the fuel pipe recall)...so pretty much anywhere you go they will have competant techs and those who just "dont care" for lack of a better word..However I can say shops usually wont give those jobs to the inexperienced...
    Yeah I am sure the techs are great at the dealer. I just got pissed off at the service desk. You know the guys who take the keys from you.

Before I got my letter I set up an appointment for Subaru to diagnose the fuel leak. I re-arranged my day so I could take my car in and get this taken care of. I was told it would take an hour or two. When I got there the service desk guy told me I had to leave it overnight. So I was supposed to just ride the bus that day. This left me very upset. I was also upset that they had to diagnose the problem. I have been dealing with this awful fuel smell for almost 8 years and I think SOA should have taken care of this years ago.

Sorry about the rant. I know the techs at the dealers are all probably really cool but the guys up front need some customer care training. IMHO.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Yeah I am sure the techs are great at the dealer. I just got pissed off at the service desk. You know the guys who take the keys from you.

Before I got my letter I set up an appointment for Subaru to diagnose the fuel leak. I re-arranged my day so I could take my car in and get this taken care of. I was told it would take an hour or two. When I got there the service desk guy told me I had to leave it overnight. So I was supposed to just ride the bus that day. This left me very upset. I was also upset that they had to diagnose the problem. I have been dealing with this awful fuel smell for almost 8 years and I think SOA should have taken care of this years ago.

Sorry about the rant. I know the techs at the dealers are all probably really cool but the guys up front need some customer care training. IMHO.
    I will definately agree with that. The service advisors need to have some sort of training...Its difficult for the techs also fore you go up to explain something to the advisor and they have no idea what your talking about..and than they are supposed to realy that information to the customer...its a shame because 50% of the time the information doesnt get relayed properly which makes the dealership service dept. look unprofessional..thankfully we just got 2 new advisors......

Personally I think they must've gotten scared by the whole toyota thing. This has been a known issue for a long long time on many many vehicles. A few years ago I tried to get this covered under warranty when I was still under 60k and after a month of fighting they said it wasn't covered. typical

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    Personally I think they must've gotten scared by the whole toyota thing. This has been a known issue for a long long time on many many vehicles. A few years ago I tried to get this covered under warranty when I was still under 60k and after a month of fighting they said it wasn't covered. typical
    Yea there are tons of stories like this, It is a shame, however under warranty I believe it pays lke 2.4 which even for the best techs with air tools are pushing to get it done in that time...It is a safety issue and you are correct though...

Got my letter, not sure what to do about it though. Being in Southern California we get crap for good service techs - the best tech around is out of a job because his dealer closed - there is one other dealer with a semi-competent tech and they are like 90 miles away from me.

I know the techs at the dealers are all probably really cool but the guys up front need some customer care training. IMHO.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Darkn3ss View Post
    Got my letter, not sure what to do about it though. Being in Southern California we get crap for good service techs - the best tech around is out of a job because his dealer closed - there is one other dealer with a semi-competent tech and they are like 90 miles away from me.

+1
    Hey if its warranty I would get it done...free

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Hey if its warranty I would get it done...free
    around here, even if you pay for it - you got a 50/50 chance of it being done correctly. Those odds probably go down exponentially when the job is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkn3ss View Post
    around here, even if you pay for it - you got a 50/50 chance of it being done correctly. Those odds probably go down exponentially when the job is free.

Oh man! Im sorry to hear that...Personally I take extreme care when I do any work on a customers car whatever the job may be...Like every bolt you undo or forget to tighten etc etc...you have the chance of killing someone or causing damage...It really sucks to have those kinds of places around..I suppose thats how places get there rep...

I am supposed to have the fuel smell recall done this week. After reading the posts I am wondering if it is worth the risk. My car has 171,000 miles on it and the dealer recommend I replace the turbo inlet boot and coolant lines at parts cost only of $220. Should I even bother with the recall and take the risk? If I do should I have the parts replaced?