So I seemed to have made a mistake...

This is a discussion on So I seemed to have made a mistake... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my used 2006 wrx and it has been sitting in my parents driveway until I graduated from ...

So I seemed to have made a mistake...

I just got my used 2006 wrx and it has been sitting in my parents driveway until I graduated from college. My father has been driving it around every so often and I drive it when ever I am home.

The mistake we have made is we have been putting in a lower octane than we should have for about 2000 miles. The check engine light is now on and the code read a bad o2 sensor. I now know to put in the premium grade fuel (I live in New Jersey and we don't pump our own gas, so I just saw that giant sticker near the gas tank) but I was wondering if I should be replacing my o2 sensor or just continue to put in the correct fuel and the o2 sensor will be fine. Is there anything else I should be checking for because of my little mix up?

Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Fuel octane type really has nothing to do with the sensor. More important is which sensor is sending the code? Front or rear? Regardless the sensor probably needs to be replaced. Any mods on the car?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Reset your ECU and see if it comes back. From now on, use +91 octane only. A sensor shouldn't be failing from that, but more expensive things can.

Thanks, I reset the ecu and the light is off for the time being. The only mod the car has is a short ram intake, and it only has about 36k miles on it. So we are saying that the o2 sensor going bad does not have anything to do with me putting in the wrong fuel? If/when the light comes back on I should just replace it?

Chances are your engine will be fine, assuming your father wasn't driving it like he stole it. Now's a good time to read up on detonation, spark knock, etc... You'll read a lot of worst case scenarios. Toyota, specifically TRD, had a ton of engine failures on people running the supercharger on 3.4L engines a few years ago because of detonation, this was a longer term issue however.
    Last edited by mudferret; 03-02-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'