How to check for engine/drivetrain damage after front end collision?

This is a discussion on How to check for engine/drivetrain damage after front end collision? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My last 02 4eat wrx gave me 175k troublefree miles. Unfortunately my luck didn't cary over with my new 09 ...

How to check for engine/drivetrain damage after front end collision?

My last 02 4eat wrx gave me 175k troublefree miles. Unfortunately my luck didn't cary over with my new 09 Impreza 2.5 GT. After only 3 months, some kid causes a front end collision with me. The whole front end of the car was smashed in. Maybe I'll get some pics later.

It seems like the insurance wants to fix the car rather than total it...probably because the car is new, and the repair costs (shop estimates $14k) will be much less than replacing the whole car. What I'm really concerned about is damage to the engine, tranny (4eat) and drivetrain. The shop doesn't "see" anything wrong with them, and the car isn't driveable to check for any problems. One thing that concerns me is that the car was pulled onto a flatbed with the tranny in "park" (I was at the hospital when that happened with the keys).

My question is whether there's a way to check for engine/drivetrain damage with the car on a lift. I remember a little trick with my mustang where you test the differential by raising one rear wheel off the ground, and trying to turn it against the differential. Is there anything like that that can be done with a Subaru? How about the engine?
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The shop will test drive the car after the work is completed. If they are a reputable shop they will send the car to a dealership anyway so they pull the drivetrain before the work starts, at that point the dealership will add up parts for replacement to motor damage.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC