plastic doesnt like the cold
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on plastic doesnt like the cold within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was in the process of re-installing my intake manifold after doing the TGV deletes and turbo inlet, and I ...

plastic doesnt like the cold

I was in the process of re-installing my intake manifold after doing the TGV deletes and turbo inlet, and I discovered that EVERY SINGLE one of my coil pack connectors was busted.

Apparently when I took the connectors off the coil packs to remove the manifold, the little clip that keeps them on broke on all four of them. I was able to get a decent strength zip tie in there in such a way that I think it will hold, but we'll see.

Anyone else ever have this happen? Coil packs are ~80$ new, so I really can't shell out 320$ just for that. I'm thinking of taking them all off, and epoxying the connector to the coil pack if the zip tie thing failed. (think what you will, but I've been doing some research and some guys have been getting away with zipties for quite some time)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So you broke the tab on the coil pack or the connector itself? I have broken both on the EZ30's before and on a Forester XT...I have used just that...zip ties...I have never had a comeback from one so I think that is your best bet... I find it amazing however that all 4 broke...I usually just accidentally snap one...

Ya I broke the retaining tab that keeps the clip on.

It was pretty cold when I was doing it, and the car was bone cold too. I'd say it was around 15 degrees.

I had an idea last night though. If the zip ties don't work, I'll just pull off the coil packs and one by one superglue a little piece of plastic onto the coil pack male connector. (thats approx same dimensions of the one i broke). Then the female clips should stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    It was pretty cold when I was doing it, and the car was bone cold too. I'd say it was around 15 degrees.
    Garage
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Garage
    Got one. Its not heated though

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    Ya I broke the retaining tab that keeps the clip on.

I had an idea last night though. If the zip ties don't work, I'll just pull off the coil packs and one by one superglue a little piece of plastic onto the coil pack male connector. (thats approx same dimensions of the one i broke). Then the female clips should stay on.

Ah not a bad idea, Ive never had a problem with zip ties though..lol...

Living in an area where it's cold 4 or 5 months of the year means I break lots of plastic junk. I've resorted to utilizing my wife's hair drier at times as a heat gun substitute. Luckily my new office has a heated bay, so there should be less breakage in the future.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.