Tapping noise from engine

This is a discussion on Tapping noise from engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a tapping noise from the engine on my 02 WRX when the throttle is depressed. It's more then ...

Tapping noise from engine

I got a tapping noise from the engine on my 02 WRX when the throttle is depressed. It's more then likely a valve tap but the problem is I am new to these motors and I'm used to a V8 small block where it's right out in the open but I have not yet tried anything like this on a boxer engine. I am looking for a reference on how to alieviate this problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it's valve slap...welcome to the world of Subaru's...it's just one of the things you deal with when you've got a Bugeye. Different oils can make it less obtrusive, but it'll never go away completely.

Not sure what you're using now but Rotella-T is amazing stuff, but research it for yourself first...this is a great site to do so:

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

As long as it doesn't sound like this:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Then it's perfectly normal. Good luck with your diagnosis!
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

It's def not a rod knock. It only taps when u give it gas and it's not just noisy valve train cause it just started today.

Quote Originally Posted by 02SilverRex View Post
    It's def not a rod knock. It only taps when u give it gas and it's not just noisy valve train cause it just started today.
    Very glad to hear it's not rod knock! Take it from someone whose blown two engines...it sux!

Can you take a vid w/ your phone or something maybe?

Also, take a long handle screwdriver and put the handle to your ear and the other end on the end on the intake manifold near the grounding bolt where it splits off...if the noise is coming from there...it's the valves (which is oddly normal). If not, what specific section of the engine bay does ithe sound appear to be emminating from?

Yeah I'm at work now but I'll be able to put on a vid later. My trans am I had before had a valve tap and I later blew a rod bearing and grenades the bottom of my motor but salvaged my $1500 heads and cam.

Yeah I'm at work now but I'll be able to put on a vid later.
    Cool man...not saying I have all the answers but I'm certainly willing to help any way I can

My tans am I had before had a valve tap and I later blew a rod bearing and grenades the bottom of my motor but salvaged my $1500 heads and cam.
    YIKES! At least you saved part of it!
    Last edited by Sooby-Doo; 02-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.

same issue

I have a 02 Bug eye...and I HAD the same issue, on idle it would tap....I changed the oil to Shell Rotella T9 (Full synthetic) the dark blue bottle....gave it 2 days to soak in, after 2 days....magically the sound went away! Rotella is great oil to reduce boxers engine rattle....

I don't know if that would work because after inspecting it further it's a pretty constant knock from the engine and seems like it's more severe then noisey valves but I will try this in hopes of it being less of a problem then rod bearings.