03 wagon intercooler...

This is a discussion on 03 wagon intercooler... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a wagon about 4 months ago and found small sand type pebbles imbedded in the fins of the ...

03 wagon intercooler...

I bought a wagon about 4 months ago and found small sand type pebbles imbedded in the fins of the intercooler. I picked out what I could, but there are some small ones still down in there. The vehicle runs at normal temp.

What is the process for taking off the i.c., or should I even mess with it? Is there a regular cleaning maintenance that should be done on the i.c. ?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Taking off the intercooler is not very hard. Just pay attention to what you are doing. What I do to clean the IC is use a water hose with a slight amount of pressure and spray all of the outer fins. Sometimes you can see lots of little dead bugs coming out. I was surprised to see so much gunk in there.

Shake it to get the majority of the water off the IC and use an air compressor to dry it out real good. I don't clean the inside of the IC because I am not sure what to use. If anything there will be oil in the IC so water is not going to work. I heard some chemicals could hurt the aluminum so I just leave the inside alone.

There are places where they can dunk clean the IC but that will cost you.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+1^..Also a condenser comb is sometimes not a bad thing to purchase fore you can restore any bent fins...

I just looked up that condenser comb and it looks pretty cool. My IC fins are fine but my AC unit is really smashed up. Do you think this comb can repair really bent up fins?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I just looked up that condenser comb and it looks pretty cool. My IC fins are fine but my AC unit is really smashed up. Do you think this comb can repair really bent up fins?
    Id say its worth a shot....just be careful not to damage the condenser itself...Its obviously cheaper than buying a new condenser and discharging and recharging the R134...