pothole = 4 new tires
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on pothole = 4 new tires within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so with all the snow we have been having in the philly im real glad that i bought this car ...

pothole = 4 new tires

so with all the snow we have been having in the philly im real glad that i bought this car back in august.. i upgraded from a 97 saturn sl2 to an 07 wrx tr not only for the power but for the AWD, so i could travel back and forth easily to the mountains for snowboarding trips.. but when i bought the car i had no idea we would have a winter like we have had so far..

anyway, the combination of snow and rocksalt that has been on the roads has made dozens if not hundreds of huge POTHOLES on the route that i travel to work, and the other night i found the biggest one of them all.. i positioned my car in such a way to drive over the one pothole that i did see while at the same time driving directly threw an even larger pothole that i couldn't see because of the lighting on the road.. i didn't know right off the bat, but realized after a mile or two of driving that something wasnt right, and when i got out to look, my front tire was flat..

i called AAA because it was pouring out, but after they said it would be more than an hour, i just changed it myself.. the people at subaru told me that i need 4 new tires because the tread depth was worn down to 7/32 and if i put a new tire on there it would F up the car.. i did some research online and found out basically the same thing.. subaru wanted to sell me 4 factory tires at $228 a piece which i thought was outrageous.. i went to a place called "creamery tire" who suggested i get toyo proxes 4 which would run $115 a piece.. the guy said they were an all around better tire than the ones that were on the car to begin with, and it would cost me about half as much..

today was the first day i got the drive them in the snow, and they definitely dont grip as much as i would like, but too late now.. if anyone can explain to me why it is i had to change all 4 tires when they were barely 1/3 worn or has any comments on the toyo proxes 4, feel free to reply.. anyone else who reads this, take your time out on the roads, snow and ice are still slippery and potholes are still potholes, no matter what car you are driving..
    07 wrx tr.. i finally got one
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's the major downfall of AWD. Like any car, if one tire goes completely out, as in has to be replaced, the partner needs to be changed out as well. The problem with AWD, is that all 4 tires are driven, and if you have tires that are all turning at different rates due to different tread depths, you can damage the differentials. If it were FWD and one of the tires up front went out, you'd replace those 2, RWD the same if a rear goes out, AWD, every single tire needs replacing. Sucks big time, but that's the price you pay for AWD.

Remember to keep up on tire rotations btw.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

FYI If your tires aren't too far gone, you can find some tire dealers that will shave a new tire down to match the tread depth of you other tires.
    10 WRB WRX Wagon Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    It's true. Subaru recommends no more than 2/32" of tread depth difference to keep the AWD system healthy and happy. Regular tire rotation is a must.

The Toyos you have are all season performance tires best suited to occasional use in light snow. Once the snow goes away, those tires will do very well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Subarex View Post
    FYI If your tires aren't too far gone, you can find some tire dealers that will shave a new tire down to match the tread depth of you other tires.
    ^^ Yep.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nobody in their right mind would pay more than $50 per tire for the stock RE-92s.

Ya, most places don't offer shaving services, but a few do. After running the Tail of the Dragon last year I worn down my front tires by half the remaining tread and had 2 get 2 new fronts shaved my Tire Rack.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.