Help P0021 INTAKE CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help P0021 INTAKE CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got this alarm on my stock 2006 STI. After some research I found the following: A code P0021 refers ...

Help P0021 INTAKE CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED

Just got this alarm on my stock 2006 STI. After some research I found the following:

A code P0021 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM).

Symptoms

Most likely a P0021 DTC will result in one of the following: hard starting, poor idle, and/or stalling.

I have none of these symptoms. The car runs as well as it always had. Any ideas??

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There was a huge thread if I remember correctly over on NASIOC about this...something with the oil charge valve or the timing belt I believe...However if it was a timing belt problem your car would either not be running or it would def. not be running the way "it always has"... I have seen those tiny filters in the OCV and the ones in the banjo bolt for the turbo oil feed lin throw this code for they get all coked up....

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should bring it in to the dealer................

Well I can say this code can somewhat be a PITA to track down if it isnt the actual OCV itself...Just like the infamous P0440...Ive seen this code thrown from a burnt valve to a torn vacuum line.....What I would prob do if I where you is first...check the oil level and condition...next I would do an oil change and an engine flush (warm solution that runs through your engine to clean out sludge deposits and such)...after doing these I would clear the code and see if it comes back...What weight oil are you using?

Thanks for the reply. I am using 5W-30 Synthetic. I brought it to Subaru and they could not find anything wrong with it. $57 bucks for nothing

They reset it and then the manager asked me to bring it in right away if it happens again. It will and I will be out another 50 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by stallion09 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am using 5W-30 Synthetic. I brought it to Subaru and they could not find anything wrong with it. $57 bucks for nothing

They reset it and then the manager asked me to bring it in right away if it happens again. It will and I will be out another 50 bucks

It might be worth it for you to buy an inexpensive OBD II scanner so that way whenever the light comes on you will know what the code is before you bring it to the dealer ( if there is even a need to do so ).. ...Speak of the devil I had one today on an 05 Outback P0026....LOF and engine flush and away it went...for now...

i have the same problem...car runs great too...Did you end up seeing if the code came back on? after you reset it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.