Radiator - short life on WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Radiator - short life on WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it pretty common to have the radiator fail at the left and right end-caps on the WRX? For some ...

Radiator - short life on WRX?

Is it pretty common to have the radiator fail at the left and right end-caps on the WRX? For some reason that doesn't seem like a very good life span.

2005 WRX, 4.5 years on the road, 75k miles.

What would you folks recommend for a quality, stock-like replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
    Is it pretty common to have the radiator fail at the left and right end-caps on the WRX? For some reason that doesn't seem like a very good life span.

2005 WRX, 4.5 years on the road, 75k miles.

What would you folks recommend for a quality, stock-like replacement?
    Usually the radiator fails at the top and bottom as they are plastic end caps. I do not recommend a stock like replacement. Both Gimmik Motorsports,Koyo and Mishimoto make a quality all aluminium replacement.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Read this thread for more opinions.

Broken radiator
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
    BE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT RADIATOR!
    I just got boned by ordering the same one for a 2003 WRX.
    Make sure the Radiator has the return nipple in the upper left corner(looking down standing at front of car) for hose from filler tank.

The RIGHT one
    You can find the same one without extra cap too.
    Last edited by DirtModJunkie; 02-28-2010 at 05:18 AM.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Thanks, Dirt. I'll take a look and see about the tube. What's the story with the "extra cap?" What does this mean? I'm seeing it mentioned here and there ...

If you go with the extra cap, you will end up "T-ing" in the extra cap nipple to the overflow tank as Mycologist has done (see photo). I dont see any added benefit with extra cap, unless you have a problem "burping" the system when refilling.
    See my photos for how you will be stuck if you order the wrong Radiator.
    Link to thread with pics
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    See my Bugeye here

It's not at all normal for a radiator to fail at 4.5 years and 75k miles. Have you owned the car since new? Did you replace the coolant according to the specs?

A radiator should last 200k miles if the coolant system is properly maintained.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    It's not at all normal for a radiator to fail at 4.5 years and 75k miles. Have you owned the car since new? Did you replace the coolant according to the specs?

A radiator should last 200k miles if the coolant system is properly maintained.
    My Radiator failed also(just over 80k), cracking in 2 spots just right of hose looking down from front.
    It's gotta be the extreme cold in the Northeast for my car.
    Plastic just doesn't belong on a Radiator...PERIOD.
    See my Bugeye here

Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie View Post
    If you go with the extra cap, you will end up "T-ing" in the extra cap nipple to the overflow tank as Mycologist has done (see photo). I dont see any added benefit with extra cap, unless you have a problem "burping" the system when refilling.
    See my photos for how you will be stuck if you order the wrong Radiator.
    Link to thread with pics
    Thanks, again Dirt, those threads had a lot of good info. I'm leaning towards the Mishimoto at the moment. I probably need to get on top of this soon, it's going to be warm in another couple months.

My first change on Radiator fluids was at about 38,000. I have a hard time believing that coolant can't go 40k miles. The winters are pretty hard on our vehicles here, and plastic definitely has no place on a radiator. What was Subby thinking?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.