Terrible squeel from engine. Help?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Terrible squeel from engine. Help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this has been going on for a while and im ready for an answer. When i turn on my ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar

Terrible squeel from engine. Help?

So this has been going on for a while and im ready for an answer. When i turn on my car (usually when its fairly cold outside) there is sometimes (very inconsistant) a very loud squeel coming from what sounds like my engine. The noise will get louder if i rev or turn the wheel. After maybe 10-15 seconds the noise goes away and car drives fine. Then if i am driving with the heat/defrost on and have to slow down and shift to a lower gear the noise comes back and stays for another 10-15 seconds. Sometimes by turning the heat off right away it seems to go away but sometimes is stays anyways. I think this is a belt problem but i have no idea where to look or what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

03 wrx sedan stage 2 (if that makes any difference)
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What you are describing sounds like one or both of the belts slipping. More than likely, the A/C compressor belt.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

mine did the same thing....
    went away when I tightened the belts, then came back
    subscribed to find an answer!
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    is this very difficult to get to?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

The adjuster is easy to get to.

You may want to consider a new set of belts if they have never been replaced.

I would recommend downloading the manual and seeing if this is something you are comfortable doing yourself, but to tighten the belts is a pretty simple deal.

Home
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.