Noise coming from wheels. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Noise coming from wheels. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks! I dont have any tools here where I love, so I just need to find a torue wrench, or ...

Thanks!

I dont have any tools here where I love, so I just need to find a torue wrench, or buy one.

Or maybe, buy myself some tools.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX - FP 68HTA'd
    2007 Honda Civic Si (Stock) - Traded it for ^^^

Blobeye Syndicate #728

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I do think it is possible that it is the brakes and would look at them ASAP regardless of whether it still squeals when you aren't pressing the pedal.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Yeah, it sure sounds like the little wear indicator tab on the brake pads is rubbing, telling you it's time for new pads. On my past automobiles, the indicator would squeal with no brake pressure, but was nearly silent when pressure was applied.

How common is it though for one brake to wear before others? Shouldnt they were evenly?

And why would the brakes cause it to squeal when moving forward while turning left, but make a grinding/rubbing sound when moving in reverse and turning left?

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Even wear or not, statistically speaking one side will start hitting the indicator before the other. Just pull a wheel and have a look.

How many miles do you have on that set of pads?

Not sure about the miles on the pads, they were on it when I got the car, but Ill probably be changing them here soon.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Pulled the brakes, took a lood, nothing out of the prdinary. Torqued the lugs properly. Still makes the sounds.

Going forward its a squealing sound, in reverse its a grinding sound. Only makes the sounds when i turn.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    How did you support the car when you removed the wheels? It sounds like you bent a backing plate.

Jacked it up from the side. Arent the backing plates in the rear? I ask cause this sound is coming from the drive side front wheel area.
    Last edited by 2005sti; 03-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

I turned right, out of a gas station today and I could hear what sounded like scraping. Could the rotors be bent or something. Im out of ideas on what this could be.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005sti View Post
    Jacked it up from the side. Arent the backing plates in the rear? I ask cause this sound is coming from the drive side front wheel area.
    Backing plates are the thin metal shields behind all 4 brake rotors. If they are bent or contacting the rotor they make a lot of noise. If there is a rock or stone caught in that little space it will make a lot of noise. I'f also seen people jack up the car and put jack stands under the rotors bending the shields.

Well I pushed back on the little shield behind the rotor and took a look at them and I cant see any bends or contact with the rotor. Is this a wheel bearing issue? I dont think it is, i moved the wheel, but there was no play.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Backing plates are the thin metal shields behind all 4 brake rotors. If they are bent or contacting the rotor they make a lot of noise.
    Agreed, I believe the dust plate is the issue as well. Just experienced it not 5 days ago when I put on my new axles, springs & struts.

Pushing them back with a screwdriver may not be sufficient. I recommend removing them (its only 3 bolts) and drive around to see if that takes care of sound. Then you can just put them back on if you want...or leaving them off isn't a huge issue either, but they were put there for a reason.

If not, at least you've easily ruled out a free, quick fix without unnecesarily buying new parts.

Good hunting!
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby-Doo View Post
    Agreed, I believe the dust plate is the issue as well. Just experienced it not 5 days ago when I put on my new axles, springs & struts.

Pushing them back with a screwdriver may not be sufficient. I recommend removing them (its only 3 bolts) and drive around to see if that takes care of sound. Then you can just put them back on if you want...or leaving them off isn't a huge issue either, but they were put there for a reason.

If not, at least you've easily ruled out a free, quick fix without unnecesarily buying new parts.

Good hunting!
    Okay, if i take them off and the sound is still there, what could it be?

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Okay, so I still have these stupid sounds. A squeaking/squealing high pitched sound when i turn to the left, a grinding sound when I turn to the right. Sounds like it is coming from the driver side front wheel. Its a 2005 WRX Sedan. I have done:

1. Torqued lugs correctly.
    2. Check Brakes Pad.
    3. Checked dust shields and backing plates.
    4. Checked for a wheel bearing issue, doesnt seem to be the problem.

What else do i do!? This is killing me.

Do you think my rotors have something to do with it? Any help is much appreciated, Im about to have to take it in and spend some money on it.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast